•Chapter Forty•

4 months later...

The grin plastered on my face at the moment would've made a Cheshire cat jealous. I woke up in a chipper mood and my heart was swollen with joy. Though I had been in this same position before I knew for sure that this time would be the last, I'd make sure of it even if it killed me in the process. Today was the day that'd I break free from the shackles of the judicial system. With good behavior and Dr. Mazure commendations the judge had been convinced that I was fit to be reassimilated into society after serving six of the twelve months that had been assigned.

As I gathered all of the photos and drawings that Ameer had brought me over the months I caught a glimpse of Dre slouching on his bunk, his shoulders slumped. Since we had woken up earlier there was an eery silence between us. During our time together he had become a little brother to me. As much as I was more than elated to gain my emancipation I felt a little sad leaving him behind.

Sitting on my bunk I instructed for him to join me. "Wassup bro, you been givin me the silent treatment since we got up."

He released a dramatic sigh. "You bout to leave me man. I'm happy for you, believe I am. I know you need to get back to ya kid but I'ma miss you."

Before I was able to properly articulate my sentiments a guard intervened, indicating that it was time for me to go. Picking up my belongings, I dapped Dre and pulled him in for a hug. His faint sniffles sealed the solemnity of the moment. I shared his pain but I found comfort in the fact that he too had a short sentence and it wouldn't be long before he was released.

"Keep ya up lil bro. I'ma drop in to check on you sometimes." With our hands still connected, I broke our hug and maintained eye contact so that he could see my sincerity. I assured him that he'd be okay and urged him to avoid trouble. I guess the guard was fed up with our bromance because he banged his baton against the cell, demanding that I make haste. Exchanging our finals goodbye, I walked out the cell and breezed pass the guard as I stepped closer to my freedom, again.

Never one to disappoint, my sister Kemona was parked outside waiting for me once I was officially released. Despite being younger, she was always there for me. If it were possible for me to give her the world I would, no questions asked. She sat with her seat reclined, heavily engrossed in whatever was on her phone screen. I snuck up to driver's window and banged on it, startling her. Once she realized who it was, she mean mugged me but it didn't last for long as she was unable to contain her smile. She hopped out her car and engulfed me in a hug so tight I was half expecting my insides to fall out.

"Please don't come back to this place Lance." I felt her tears drench my chest.

"I won't baby sis. I swear I won't." I rubbed her back, planted a kiss on her forehead and hummed the song I use to when we were kids and she'd come to my room after having a bad dream. Once her water works ceased, we hopped in her car and journeyed to Rosewood. Unlike the last time, I decided I'd stay with her until I got back on my feet. This time I wasn't coming home to a secured job so economically it made more sense. I was eager to plunge head first back into my art and photography but I knew it would take time to rebuild my clientele. It wasn't very big to begin with so I only hoped that some of them were still rocking with me.

Pulling up to my newly renovated childhood home, I hopped out the car and inhaled the smell of freedom. I relished in the aroma albeit it was mixed with the marijuana smoke coming from down the block. Some things never change, I thought. The fellas were banging dominoes, harassing females and clowning each other as usual. After briefly observing the familiar surroundings, I joined my sister who had long gone into the house. It definitely smelt better than outside as she had prepared a hearty breakfast for me to enjoy. I was left to eat alone as she had to head back to work. Wolfing down my food, I cleaned up after myself, took a quick shower and got acquainted with my bed. I was out like a light the minute my head touched the pillow, my body welcomed the opportunity to rest on a comfortable mattress.