•Chapter Four•

It had been little over two weeks since Mia came to visit me, well confirm that I wasn't dead. I'd thought about reaching out to her but decided against it in the end. I knew she wanted nothing to do with me so I respected her wishes, at least up until now. It was a beautiful May afternoon, the perfect weather to commemorate my emancipation. Unfortunately for Mia, I wasn't going to rot in jail. I had paid my dues and was officially a free man.

Anticipating my sister's arrival I gathered my stuff from inside my cell which wasn't much at all, just pictures of Ameer and drawings he had done. I smiled just thinking about him. I couldn't wait for us to spend time together. I had no idea how I was going to get through to Mia but I needed to devise a plan soon. I didn't want to miss out on any more years of his life.

Once I cleaned out my cell I made my way downstairs to collect my belongings that I'd had when I first came here: a hundred dollar bill and my Gucci link gold chain. I was surprised no one stole it. I stripped out of the prison jumpsuit and threw on a white tshirt and some jeans. I looked shabby to say the least but nothing could break the high I was feeling at that moment. I threw up the peace sign to the wardens and strolled outside, inhaling the smell of freedom. It didn't take long for me to spot my baby sister Kemona as she came sprinting over to me, engulfing me in a huge hug. I loved all my siblings but she was undoubtedly my favorite.

"Hey big bro! I'm so happy you're finally out of that dump." She said still clinging to me. I chuckled.

"I am too sis. I missed you. I'm sorry for everything." I said sincerely.

"It's okay LC. I know it wasn't your fault." She assured me.

"Let's get outta here. I can't stand to be near this place any longer." With that being said we made our way over to her car, hopped in and sped off. The entire ride we updated each other on what was going on in our lives. I told her about Mia visiting me and she instantly felt bad. She told me that it crushed her on occasions when she'd accompany her to my gravesite knowing that there was nothing but an empty coffin buried beneath. It crushed me that I dragged my family into my deceitfulness. Looking back I probably could've handled the situation a lot differently but what's done was done, I couldn't change what happened I could only try my best to make up.

"You know you can just stay with me right?" She asked. I had asked her to rent me a cheap apartment. I needed to feel some type of independence.

"I know but I don't wanna be no freeloader." I expressed.

"Okay. I guess I know better than to press you when your mind is already made up but how are you gonna pay for the apartment though?" She asked.

"Someone I met back in the pen hooked me up with a job." I said.

"Who? Doing what?" She questioned me. I just stared out the window pretending not to hear her. I wasn't about to tell her Anika was the one who hooked me up. She'd go off if she knew I was messing around with a warden. I also wasn't going to tell her that the job was a janitorial position at recreation center because she'd definitely insist I move in with her. The job was a major downgrade but I needed something legit especially if I intended to be in Ameer's life. I was grateful that at least one person was willing to give me a chance as I'm sure former drug dealer and ex convict weren't a good look on my resumé.

As we drove along I took the time to appreciate the scenary. Being locked up for ten years really made me conscious of the things I used to take for granted. My admiration must've been going on for quite some time because before I knew it we were in Rosewood, pulling up to my childhood home. Kemona was the only sibling who remained there as Kemari moved out a few years after he finished college. Once I hopped out the car I spotted my former hustling partner who also happened to be my older cousin.

"OG Slick! Welcome home playa, I knew you wasn't dead." He said chuckling as he walked up to me. We dapped each other once he got close.

"What's good Ant?" I asked.

"You know me, getting this money." He said.

"I hear you."

"You down to get back to work? The whole crew missed you out here man." He stated.

"Nah, I'm not tryin to get caught up in all that. I'm fresh out. Plus I gotta do better I got my son to think about." I said.

"Oh you got a kid? I didn't know. I hear you though but if you change your mind you know where to find me." He said before taking off down the block. I knew there were rough times coming ahead but I had no plans to bend under the pressure. I already lost ten years of my freedom and I had no intentions of losing anymore. I promised my mom before she died I was going to do better and I intended to keep my word.