•Chapter Fifty Eight•

With my eyes fixated on the digital clock that decorated my desk, I willed the neon colored numbers to make haste striking 12:00. In the months that I had been working for Bachir I quickly worked my way up to being his right hand man. While I was happy for the promotion, the position came with excess work. I had been making moves all morning and I was beyond drained. I anticipated that as the day progressed it would only get worse. After my lunch break, I had at least two more meetings. Bachir was looking to open an art institute and put me in charge of meeting with contractors. I sank into my comfortable leather chair and massaged my temples when my buzzing cellphone suddenly disrupted my fickle peace of mind.

"Hey Lance."

"Wassup?"

"I apologize for the late notice, but I gotta work this evening and I can't find anyone to watch Londyn. Could you watch her? It'll only be until 10:00." I sighed heavily, I felt like I was being bogged down by an invisible weight. I had planned on spending the night at Mia's house.

"Umm..." I was debating what the hell I was going to do. I didn't want to bail on my daughter but I couldn't do the same to Mia.

"Look Lance, I know Londyn doesn't fit into your little family but you said you wanted to be in her life so you better figure something out." She snapped causing me to hold the phone away from my ear and look at like it was a foreign object.

"You better calm down, you got no right acting entitled. I'ma be by to get her when I clock out so have her ready." With that being said I slid the red button and ended the call. This situation was taking a toll on me and I needed some advice. Picking up phone again, I dialed the number of the best person for the job.

"What's good Phae? You busy right now?"

"Actually, I just stepped outside my office. I'm about to grab some lunch. What's up?"

"Mind if I join you? I'm in a jam right now and I wanna talk to you about it."

"No, not at all. Meet me at the Mexican restaurant on SW Avenue."

"Aight, see you in a few." We exchanged goodbyes before I secured my office and headed out the door. Pausing at stop sign, I checked my notifications. Swiping them away I was pleasantly greeted by my wallpaper which featured a smiling Mia. I prayed that she would forgive me for withholding information from her whenever I decided tell what has been going on.

It took me almost fifteen minutes to find a parking spot once I arrived at the restaurant. My patience started diminishing, and I was ready to call Phae and reschedule, when one vehicles reverse lights illuminated signaling that they were about to leave. I quickly pulled into the spot, narrowly beating another eager patron. Hopping out the car, I smiled widely at them, in response the angry woman's middle finger stood tall. I chuckled at her before entering the restaurant. It was hard for me to locate Phae at first since the restaurant was almost filled to maximum capacity. However, after much squiting I spotted the nubian hand beckoning me to join.

"So what trouble has my friend gotten himself into?" She questioned aftering hugging me then retaking her seat at the opposite end if the midsized table.

"Well, you remember I was sexually assaulted in jail right?" Her eyebrows knitted together as she offered her undivided attention.

"Mhmm." She nodded for me to continue.

"Turns out ole girl got pregnant and now I have a two month old daughter." Her eyes widened.

"Are you sure it's yours?"

"Positive. Minus the light brown eyes she looks just like me. The DNA test proved what was already obvious."

"Damn, so how does Mia feel about it?" I dragged my hand roughly down my face and sighed.