•Chapter Ten•

It had been two days going on three since I had last seen Ameer at the center. If I knew his mother as well as I think I did she intentionally stopped him from coming knowing that we'd be in close contact with each other. I wanted to call her since the first day I realized he wasn't coming but judging from our last conversation I knew she'd probably ignore me. I knew I had messed up but I hadn't realized I had done that much damage for her to hate as much as she did.

Today was now Friday and I had nothing but time on my hands since the center stayed open a little later my services wouldn't be needed anytime soon. I stopped going earlier than necessary anyway since Ameer no longer came around. The more I thought about him the more I realized I had to talk to Mia soon, we needed to atleast arrive at some sort of agreement. I knew she wanted me to stay away but he was my son and I refused to take a backseat.

Looking at the clock on my nightstand I noticed it was a little pass one. I switched the television off, threw on some clothes, grabbed my keys and went through the door. I decided to try my luck and go see A'mia at her office. While I was locked up my sister informed me that she had gotten her own business. She was always ambitious like that anyway, one of the qualities I loved about her.

Programming her office's address into my GPS I plugged in my aux chord and allowed Chronixx's song I can to reverberate off of the car's windows. About a hour and a half later I pulled up to an immaculate three storey building. Whoever the architecture was must've been well paid. The design was impressive. Hopping out of my car, I made my way over to the reception center on ground level, stated my business and took a two minute elevator ride to the second floor where AMD Accounting Services was housed. Once I was buzzed in I made my way over to the receptionist's desk. The way she moistened her lips, gave me the once over and smoothed out her attire I could tell she was checking me out. On another day I might've been flattered but today I was a man on a mission.

"Welcome to AMD Accounting Services, how may we assist you today?" The young lady asked.

"I need to see Mrs. uhm, Jordan." I stated, momentarily forgetting A'mia's new last name.

"One moment please." She said as she pressed a button and held the cordless phone to her ear.

"Hello Mrs. Jordan a Mr..." She started, pausing after she realized I never stated my name.

"Carter." I said.

"A Mr. Carter is here to see you." She continued. Judging by the long pause I could tell A'mia was probably contemplating whether she should see me or not. I released the breath I didn't realize I was holding until the receptionist hung up and escorted me to her office. Soon as she left A'mia wasted no time grilling me.

"Lance what the hell are you doing here?" She asked through gritted teeth.

"I just want to talk to you, please." I begged, my eyes pleading with her. She softened her expression a bit.

"Okay. Talk." She stated firmly.

"Why hasn't Ameer been at the center? I know you're doing it to keep him away from me." I said.

She snickered, "Seriously Lance? You're not that important. Ameer simply found something more fulfilling to do after school." I knew she was lying. She twirled her curls and tucked her hair behind her ears, something I noticed she did whenever she was nervous. I decided not to address it though.

"Okay, but have you atleast decided to give me a chance with him though? I just want to be a part of his life, that's all." I stated truthfully.

She released a boisterous laugh, void of humor. "After all these years you get out and think you can just waltz into his life Lance? You resurrect all of a sudden, no explanation, no nothing and we're suppose to act like everything is peachy right? And what about Shawn? He's suppose to take a backseat because you finally decided to stop being a deadbeat?" She ranted. The more she spoke the more I felt myself getting frustrated. She was making things a lot more complicated than they needed to be.

"I tried to explain to you what happened! All you did was talk and never one time listened to me! I never expected you to just take the situation lying down but all I'm asking for is atleast an hour out of the week with Ameer. You know how many niggas don't take care of they kids and here I am begging you for a chance with mine! I get it, I messed up but we need to get pass that." The look on her face let me know that she wasn't budging and that only infuriated me more.

"I'm glad Ameer has a man in his life to look up to or whatever but honestly at this point I don't give a damn about you or your husband. All. I. want. is. MY SON!" I stated coldly, banging my fists against her desk with every word as I glared at her. She flinched and I instantly felt bad. I hoped she didn't think I was going to hit her because I would never. My father taught me never to raise my hands at a woman. "Son, it's better to just walk away." I could hear his voice echoing in my head now and I heeded his advice as I exited the office and the building soon after. I needed to get away and clear my mind. I felt a migraine coming on, something I was all too familiar with since being attacked.

Once I got back home I realized it was around 3:00 p.m. I had atleast an hour to burn before I had to report to work. I wasted no time flopping down on the livingroom couch and lighting a blunt. I wasn't a stoner or nothing like that, I just got tired of the drugs the doctors kept administering, especially since that allergy scare when I was laid up in the hospital. I took a long drag and held on to the smoke for a while letting Mary Jane have her way.

Releasing the smoke through my nostrils I sunk into my seat and laid my head back. I allowed my mind go drift to happier times and it somehow landed on when I first met Mia. I remember her coming down our block and my boys instantly started hollering. The way she rolled her eyes I could tell she wasn't impressed, I knew I had to come correct if I planned on succeeding. I honestly didn't believe in the whole hollering thing anyway. My father always told me women weren't dogs and I shouldn't treat them as such. I took his advice seriously and with much effort I got through to her. After getting to know her better I knew I had to have her. However, it wasn't until the attack that it became clear to me that I definitely had to wife her.

I smiled as memories of that night came flooding in. I had gotten a job offer at the yacht party and to top it off we made love for the first time that night. I honestly hadn't planned on it or even expected it that night but she seemed bent on pleasing me and I reciprocated. As much as she hated me right now I couldn't help but feel proud knowing that Ameer was conceived from genuine love.

My mind was about to continue it's drift when my phone started vibrating nonstop. It was Khamilla calling, with all that I had going on I totally forgot to call her about our date. Damn...