•Chapter Twenty Three•

A perplexed yet curious expression masked Lance's face at my statement. It was highly likely that he wasn't expecting my sudden need to apologize. My assumption was soon proven to be factual.

"What you sorry for?" He questioned.

"Everything. My attitude towards you, the harsh words. I never thought to inquire about your wellbeing. You were incarcerated and I was out living life yet I acted like my world somehow ended."

He offered me a half smile and shrugged. "I been aight I guess. Wasn't a bed of roses but I'm alive and I survived."

Unsure of what to say next, a comfortable silence fell between as we both focused our attention on the sunset that casted a deep orange hue across the sky.

"So what have you been up to?" I inquired, breaking the silence. It started becoming unbearable as the time passed by. In that moment it felt like we were strangers rather than two people who use to be good friends, much more than that actually.

"Just trying to survive honestly. Hoping something kicks off with my art soon. I ain't trying to be pushing mops forever. I got high aspirations."

"I ain't trying to go back to hustling either. Something's gotta work out.I gotta be somebody Ameer could look up to you know?" He continued. His tone was somber, his eyes glossed with sadness.

"Ameer thinks you're amazing Lance. He already looks up to you." I stated sincerely, offering him a smile in the hope of lifting his mood.

He chuckled,"Maybe, but that's cause he a kid now. What's happens when he gets older and realize his dad ain't doing shit with his life?" My heart broke at that. Gone was the man who usually oozed confidence. Sitting next to me was somebody I didn't recognize. A man broken and battered by the cards that life had ungraciously dealt him.

"Ameer will love you regardless. Don't doubt yourself, you're an amazing artist. I know you're gonna go places. Just watch." I said assuringly. I was finally able to get a genuine smile from him, sadness slowly vacating his eyes.

"I appreciate the kind words and you too even though you wanted me to rot in hell." He said laughing lightly. My cheeks became flushed with embarrassment as I recalled how I was fuming the day I paid him a visit.

"I'm really sorry about that."

"It's all good. I get it, you were mad." He stated.

"So, back to your art. Is there anything I could help you with?" I ask. He stroked his beard, pondering my question.

"You got some startup capital you could lend me? I could paint more if I got a bigger spot." He stated.

"How much do you need?"

He looked at me with a raised eyebrow.

"Mia I was playing. I can't take your money." I mirrored his prior reaction.

"Why not?" I inquired.

He chuckled,"I'm not tryin to cause a rift in your marriage Mia. Your man already dislikes me. How you think he gon react knowing you loaned me money?"

"I don't see the problem. It's for a worthy cause." I countered.

He chuckled again. I on the other didn't find any humor in our conversation.

"You not hearing me are you? It's not the cause, it's the persons involved. If I were him I probably wouldn't be too pleased about my wife lending her baby daddy money." He stated.

"Okay. It doesn't have to be from our personal account. AMD Accounting Services is solely mine." I said.

"Look Mia I'm not about to argue with you over this aight? I'ma be fine. I'm not about to cause no problems for you or let you cause any problems for yourself. I appreciate you wanting to help but like I said I'ma be aight." He stated matter-of-factly. I rolled my eyes at him before accepting defeat as the ever persistent silence fell around us again.