•Chapter Eleven•

I hadn't seen or heard from Lance since the evening he let me use his phone. He texted me at one point but after replying to him I hadn't gotten back a response. I was mad at myself for believing that he would actually be different but he proved that he was identical to all the other men in the past. He was probably just another squirrel looking to get a nut. He was sadly mistaken though.

While it had been years since sister Mary and I had something in common I wasn't one to throw myself at any old dog that came sniffing around. In fact I hadn't been intimate since the last guy I thought was the one for me. Turned out somebody else was thinking the same thing about him. I vowed not to get stuck on heartbreak avenue again, yet here I was feeling some type of way over a guy I barely knew. Against my better judgement I decided to call him to see what was up. If he truly wasn't interested I preferred to hear it from his mouth rather than drown myself in assumptions.

"Wassup Khamilla?" He said as soon as her answered the phone.

"Wassup Khamilla?" I mocked him.

"I'm not desperate for male attention you know. You should've just left me alone if you knew you were gonna play games." I stated, my voice dripping with attitude.

"I'm sorry. I just had a lot going on this week, honestly. I'm still interested in taking you out but I guess I blew my chance." He said apologetically. I sighed knowing that attitude was all a front. I wanted to at least get to know him before writing him off completely.

"Okay Lance. We can go out." I said.

"Aight cool. Is tomorrow good?" He asked.

"Yeah that's fine. Where are we going?" I probed.

"Umm, what type of food you like?" He asked.

"Anything spicy." I said. Hearing that he decided that we'd go to a Mexican restaurant in the city. I agreed to meet him there rather than have him pick me up. He seemed like a nice guy but I had watched way too many crime shows and LMN movies to let someone that I'd just met come pick me up from my house. If he turned out to be a psycho at least it would take him a while before he found out where I lived and hopefully by then I would've moved out.

After confirming our dinner plans we engaged in lighter chatter for a while. I didn't want him to hang up. I couldn't stop thinking about how well his voice matched his physique. I allowed his image to marinate for while until I remembered the state of his dreads. Being a professional hairstylist I offered to groom his dreads.

"They look that bad huh?" He asked while chuckling.

"Not to be harsh or anything but yeah they do. How about you come down to Nubian Tresses later and I'll hook you up." I stated.

"What time ya'll close? I gotta be at work til about 7:30 or 8:00." He said. I informed him that we closed at 9:30p.m on Fridays so he had time to come. After that we exchanged our goodbyes and hung up. I smiled at the opportunity to enhance his handsomeness. I was about to have him looking like an entire meal.

At around 8:15p.m one of my workers, Angel, barged into my back office fanning herself, looking like she was about to faint. I instantly grew concerned as she was one of my best employees and always brought life to the salon.

"What's wrong? Are you okay?" I asked as I shot out of my seat and rushed to her side, feeling her forehead. However, my concern soon faded and the desire to smack her upside her head settled in as she burst out laughing at my actions. I rolled my eyes at her causing her laughter to subside.

"Kham! There's a fine dreadheaded brotha out there." She said pointing towards the door. "He says he has an appointment with you. " She continued. That girl could be trip sometimes. Knowing that it was Lance, I quickly got myself together. I felt a sudden urge to freshen up, and I did before stepping foot in the main area. Once I appeared I found that he was already seated at one of the chairs that had the wash basins behind them. He surprised me when he got up and greeted me with a hug. He smelt so good.

After breaking our embrace he sat back down and I began working my magic as I gave his dreads a deep cleanse. The whole time we talked and laughed like old friends. I finished with about thirty minutes to spare. He spun the chair around so that he was now facing the mirror. I watched him as he stroked his beard and examined himself. I hooked him up with two large lobsters braids after palm rolling and interlocking his unruly strands.

"Damn girl, I'm lookin real good." He said smiling. "I just need to go get a fresh line up and I'll be set." He continued.

"I cut hair too you know. I can hook you up." I said. He chuckled and raised his brow at me. I knew what he was thinking.

"I'm good, just trust me." I said. He decided to take my word. Once I was done blessing his line he gave me a nod of approval.

"I'ma give it to you. You almost as good as my barber." He said chuckling. After he paid and left Angel wasted no time bombarding me with questions.

"Kham you sampled that yet?" She asked referring to Lance.

"What? I barely know the guy." I said.

"Hmmm. I wish you would've told me that earlier." She said with a devious look on her face. I just shook my head and walked off, leaving her to her lewd thoughts. After tidying and securing the salon, I hopped in my car and sped home. I'd had a busy day and couldn't wait to unwind.