•Chapter Thirty Eight•

"Hey lil man. Lemme talk to your momma real quick." I said once the charges were accepted and Ameer's voice took command.

"But dad, you know we don't have much time." He whined.

"It'll only be a minute, I promise." I assured him.

"Man, okay." He said before reluctantly taking the phone to his mother.

"What's up Mr. Carter?" She greeted once he handed the phone over to her.

"I'm aight, Mrs. Carter."

"Last I checked there wasn't a ring on my finger." She stated matter-of-factly which gained a laugh from me.

"Not yet, but for now we can pretend. I think Carter is a sexy last name for you, A'mia T Carter. It has a nice ring to it." She laughed at my assertion although I was quite serious. It wouldn't sit well with me if I didn't do right by her soon. Just as she was about to undoubtedly come up with some witty response I heard Ameer groaning in the background and all but demand that we hurry up.

"Since lil man is like his momma and lacks patience, lemme get to why I wanted to talk to you." I said trying to hurry the conversation along to appease Ameer distress.

"What you got planned for his birthday?" I questioned.

"I'm thinking about throwing him a pool party at the house."

"Aight. I need you to do me a favor though. I thought about letting him have my camera since he's been working hard but I'ma need it back once I get out, so if you could get him his own and I pay you back when I get out I'd appreciate it." It really bothered me that I was going to miss yet another birthday, and while I knew the gift would by no means compensate for my absence I hoped that it would serve as a reminder that I was always thinking of him.

"Don't be ridiculous Lance. There's no need to pay me back. I'll get him the gift and let him know it's from you." After expressing my gratitude to Mia for helping me out, the goodbye barely rolled off her tongue before Ameer snatched the phone away, that was obvious from the way Mia scolded him for being rude.

"You got them grades all the way up yet?" I questioned.

He groaned as if his school work was a grand task, "I been trying but science is too hard. I'm good at everything else."

"Nah, it's only as hard as you make it. I bet if you start thinking positively and applying yourself you'd do better." I encouraged.

"Fine, I'll try harder but guess what?" He questioned, quickly shifting the conversation. I indicated that I couldn't guess.

"I scored three goals at practise." His voice dripping with jubilance.

"I'm proud of you. You on your way to the national team soon."

"I hope so!" I could tell I had boosted his confidence ten times higher that it already was. We continued conversing until our time winded down. This was usually a sad time for the both of us but it was the best option for now. I really hated him having to come visit me here.

"Bye dad, I love you! Make sure you call tomorrow." He reminded.

I chuckled at him,"I know you think I'm old but my memory ain't that bad and I love you too lil man." After handing the phone over to next person, I retreated to my cell. I laid back on my bunk and closed my eyes in an effort to settle my mind. However, they sprang open after an idea came to me. I only hoped that it would work.

**************

"Wassup Doc?" I greeted Dr. Mazure once I entered the designated room for my anger management sessions.