Part 12

“What?” Lizzy said. Everyone seemed to be in the same bit of shock.

Jack woke up.

He’s alive.

Is he the same as before?

Will he ever be the same again?

These thoughts seemed to flash through the groups heads.

“The doc called and said that he woke up, just when it seemed hopeless. They thought they would have to,” Davey gulped, “cut him off.” It was still silent . A scary silence within the group.

“He’s alright, but the concussion did some damage to his brain. His speech is a bit slurred. The doc said that should clear up in no time. But, that’s not the worst part,” he stopped, allowing the information to be taken in. Lizzy was doing her best, holding back the wave of tears she had behind her eyes. Davey took a deep breath before continuing.

“Jack has damage done to his memory. He will have trouble being able to recall some things. According to the doc, it’ll take some time before he has a fully recovered memory. At least a month,” he finished. The silence stayed.

Jack won’t recognize his family. Not Crutchie, Davey, Specs, Race, Finch, Tommy-Boy, Spot, Smalls, Buttons, Elmer, Jojo, Albert...no one.

He won’t remember Miss Larkin, the closest person he had as a mother and who allows him to paint in her studio whenever he felt like it.

He won’t recognize Katherine, his love, her sing-song voice, her strong attitude, her being the journalist that was able to handle “a gang of kids who haven’t got a nickel to their name” and make them famous for a day.

He won’t even remember Lizzy. His little sister who meant the world to him and him being the father figure in her life.

At this thought, Lizzy said she was going to bed, and ran out of the room.