Part 9

Business started to slow down after a while. Lizzy sat down on the curb to rest. She looked over her shoulder to see Crutchie, only to find he wasn't there.

"Crutchie?" she called out. She looked around the street to see where her friend went.

"Lizzy! No need ta holla, I'm right here!" he called back. Lizzy looked to her right and saw him coming up the street with a brown bag in his hands. Once back with Lizzy, Crutchie sat down next to her.

"What's that?" she asks, pointing at the bag.

"Lunch," he replies. He took out of the bag two foil containers. One had a grilled ham and cheese sandwich with curly sweet potato fries while the other was a grilled salami and cheese with regular French fries.

"Wow, Crutchie! Where did ya get this? Is this actual food?" she says. She is used to leftovers, not actual food that was just cooked and tastes good. Crutchie nods at her.

"Either eat up the food or the flies ya catchin's, Liz!" he teases her. Lizzy breaks opens the container. The sandwich was the best she ever had in her fourteen years of life. Lizzy wanted ask Crutchie where he got the food and the money to get it, but she just appreciated on the gesture.

"Thanks, Crutchie. This is amazing!" she tells him. The two ate in silence for a while, just listening to the sounds of the city. Lizzy wiped her mouth using her sleeve. She turned to her right, looking at her friend.

"Crutchie?"

"Yeah?"

"Why did ya ask me ta be my sellin' partner today?" Crutchie was silent for a minute, just thinking about what he was going to say next. Be careful what your going to say, Charles. You could hurt her if you screw up, he thought to himself.

"Well, I was just thinkin'. I normally wouldn't ask a goil this, especially my best friend's little sista, but I was wonderin'. Would ya maybe want to go with me on a date? Tonight?" he asked her. Lizzy didn't meet his eyes. She was flushed a bright pink. Crutchie asked me. On a date. He asked me, she thought to herself.

"What was I kiddin'? Yous probably don't want ta," Crutchie said, ruffling his sandy brown hair. Lizzy looked at him quickly. She put her hand on his shoulder.

"Crutchie, I would love ta," she told him. He looked at her with some surprise.

"R-really? I's just thought, y'know, with ya and Davey-"

"What do ya mean? There ain't nothin' between us, Crutch," she said.

"I thought since yesterday," he said. He stopped himself when he saw Lizzy shaking her head. He grinned wide and his brown eyes glistened with excitement.

"So, five tonight? I gots and ideal date planned," he eggs on. She nodded and turned back to her lunch. Lizzy could not wait to see what this "ideal date" would bring.

(A/N: So, yesterday was my 15th birthday and I got a NEWSIE CAP!!!!!! OMG!!!!!
I also hope everyone has a Happy New Year!)