Chapter 46 - She takes her leave, and she bows

Sorry it’s taken so long to update. Worst writer’s block ever. Grr. #PrayForMe

‘Higher’ – Àsgeir (REPEATED SEVENBILLION TIMES TO CREATE THIS CHAPTER)

She takes her leave, and she bows

Niall was on edge, he had been since he woke up in the arms of that beautiful brunette. Smelling of grapefruit and cinnamon, hair that cascaded down her naked back and shone in the morning sunlight. Ever since he realised he loved her, lost her and she broke his heart. Niall was on edge, close to falling apart since the flight from hell home again. Since one of his best friends died, and they flew home without him

Everything caused him to be edgy, broken as if he was made of glass and being held together by sticky tape. Then he realised if he told Dakota how he truly felt, maybe it wouldn’t hurt so much. He knew her, knew she was fragile and unsure. She was precious and she was vicious, she terrified and enraptured him. 

Then he had reconciled with her words, with his own vile temper and Porter’s passing refreshed his soul. Helped Niall to realise, life is short and fleeting. I love her and I have to tell her. Now

So he was going to tell her, everything. Tell her he regretted the words that fell from his chapped lips, regretted leaving her to wake alone. All of it, every mistake. Well, he was going to tell her. 

Then she had her hand on Zayn’s face, it made no sense to Niall. His brain momentarily stopped functioning and he saw no reason. That edge he was standing on, the edge of breaking down entirely, he fell. Hard. 

Niall stormed up to them, his eyes fiercely on Dakota’s shaking hand, her lipstick on Zayn’s cheek. They’re friends, that’s all! No, they’re not. Yes they are. 

No. 

They’re. 

Not

Blinded by anger Niall flung accusations hard and fast, Zayn was horrified and now Zayn was gone and Niall’s fist was throbbing. Niall glared at the security guard who picked him up as if he were weightless, carried him into the waiting room. Away from Zayn, away from his excuse to explode and now he was trapped. 

Forced to face his friends, his guilt and his thoughts. 

Like animals at the zoo, thats how they were being treated. One minute Niall was throwing punches at Zayn, he was seeing red as he screamed and accused his best friend. You know it’s not true, his mind retorted. He hated when his mind teased him, pushed him over the limit or made him see things he didn’t want to see. Now was one of those times. 

Zayn loves you, see reason. Niall groaned, yes he did know on some level what Dakota said was a lie. She loves me, or… she did love me. Didn’t she?

He could see the complete loss for words that instantly consumed Zayn, in that stuffy hallway. The way his face fell, hand brushing against his stubble covered cheeks as he racked his brain for the right thing to say. The look in his eyes, complete and utter fear of losing Niall, his best friend, washed over him.

Now Niall was standing in that waiting room, his thoughts a mess and the world spinning on an axis. He held out a hand, steadying himself against the wall. People said his name, it was muffled as he caught his breath and closed his eyes. 

Trapped, he needed to confront Dakota. Shake some sense into her, or get hurt trying.

The waiting room was bright, large enough to fit the boys and most of the staff on the ward. Plush, navy chairs lined the large frosted glass window, then a couch faced the wall where a large screen television was mounted. The screen was blank, just like Niall’s mind.