Chapter 39 - You're all I have

‘All I have’ – The Veronicas (This song inspired the chapter and I feel was written about Dakota, even though her heart is breaking.)

Trusting you to hold my heart

“Kings Cross Railway Station,” Dakota slipped into the car and let out a sigh of relief when the door slammed behind her. She handed the driver a crumpled up piece of paper. He nodded and started the car, “between you and I?” She asked as she buckled up her seatbelt and fanned her face. 

“Yes, Miss Fox,” Jensen replied with a smile as he nodded. 

She pulled out a large wad of cash, checked there were no prying eyes or cameras close to the car and handed it to Jensen. He pulled out an A4 envelope with Fox scribbled across the front in thick black letters. She held the package, it filled her with relief. Inside new I.d, credit cards and passport. She was going to disappear before she was killed, only if her broken heart didn’t kill her first. 

For the first time in her life she had a home, she had a family and she felt safe. It was ruined by Daisy’s mistakes while she was alive, by the ties she left behind. Dakota never thought it would come to this, she would do anything just to save herself. To keep Niall in her sights, but she knew it was a lost cause. If she loved them, she would leave. To keep them safe, they are all you have.

“Thank you,” she whispered as she stared down at the passport. Eyes welling with tears, some falling from her cheeks and onto the envelope in her lap. “Thank you, so much.”

“It’s no worry,” Jensen was studying her sad eyes. 

He knew where she was going, what she was up against and even he had no answer. Jensen had helped her since she left Australia at nineteen, he worked for her uncle. Though, as she looked up at him she only cried harder, even when she had nothing she at least had him. Even Jensen was saying goodbye, thought it pained him to do so. 

He leant over, putting a hand on her lap, “Are you sure I can’t help you?”

She shook her head, “no, you can’t.” Not this time

She sighed, “Not even the boys are to–“ Dakota had no chance to finish her sentence as the door opened and Zayn threw his backpack onto the seat beside her. 

“Zayn?” She frowned as she hurriedly shoved the envelope into her big, black handbag. She shook her head vigorously, “You need to leave.”

“No.”

“Zayn,” she shoved her handbag behind her. “I’m not kidding.”

“Neither am I,” He smiled. 

Dakota glowered at him, “Go.”

“Nope,” He shook his head. “Where are we off to?” 

Dakota gritted her teeth, “I won’t ask again. Get out.”

“No.”

“Zayn, please…”

“Jensen?” Zayn ignored her, “Where is Miss Fox off to?”

“I…” Jensen had put the car into park as Dakota began turning bright red. “Miss Fox?”

She glared at Zayn, her small hands swatting at his arm. “Please,” her voice shook. “I need you to go.”

Zayn shook his head fervently, “Nope. I go where you go.”

“Why?”

“Why?” Zayn frowned. “What do you mean?”