Chapter 38 - I waited long for the day

A/N – Well, well. We are almost at the end of the road. What possible disasters are instore? I made a new/remake of Modest Secrets Trailer (in sidebar I AM SO PROUD OF IT). I would love if you would check it out. Remember, Vote, Comment and Share. Spread the Modest Love far and wide. Love you, all of you. Always. 

‘You’re Nobody ’Til Somebody Love’s You’ – James Arthur (Acoustic)

I waited long for the day

One minute they were on the tarmac, running at breakneck speed. Liam forgot what it was like to be surrounded by a cacophony of screams, flashing cameras and security. Lots of security pushing past the staff and hauling the boys out the media’s firing line. The next minute they were in the van. He lost sight of Jennifer after he got in the car and it made his stomach churn. 

Liam had a bad feeling about being away from her, she was so close to giving birth. The thought sent him reeling. A child, my child.

Liam had been so caught up in Dakota and Harry’s drug addiction, in Logan’s death and now Porter’s that he hadn’t even told his parents the news. He rested his head against the frosted window of the van. Thinking of his family, how estranged they had become since he up and left for X-Factor four years earlier. He had the occasional email from his sister and call from his mother. But it wasn’t the same, not like before you were famous. He sent them money, letters and emails but his parents disowned him the moment he stepped foot in the spotlight.

Liam loved his family, he always would. But they’re not your family anymore, the boys are. His parents were devout Christians, he wasn’t and it was as simple as that. They didn’t agree with the vile, sexual industry that was music. They didn’t agree with him parading around the world, sexualising himself with the lyrics of his music. They hated that Louis and Harry were gay and Liam wouldn’t tolerate that, not from anyone… especially his own family.

Now in the van, everyone was silent. Harry sat with Louis’ hand tightly in his own, Louis had his eyes closed and head resting on Harry’s shoulder. Harry stared blankly ahead, eyes red from crying and skin pale as a ghost. He looked exhausted, Liam studied his friends hand in hand. Rings on their fingers, still unwed and both weary. 

Weary from heartache, weary from the loss of their friend and weary from all the fights. Fights with each other, with Liam and Jennifer, with Zayn and Dakota, with Niall and his broken heart. Harry closed his eyes as the van sped past a mob of hysterical fans, waving signs and screaming. The paparazzi flashed their cameras, shouting and waving their hands as they tried to get close enough for a photo. The cars windows were blacked out, the tinting gave the world a hazy shadow. 

Zayn jumped in with Dakota at the last moment, amidst the crowds shouting he heard Dakota arguing with Zayn. Begging him to leave, Liam’s hands were in tight fists. When Jennifer thought he was asleep, he heard her whispering madly about Dakota meeting with Tyson. He shut his mouth, the last thing Dakota needed was everyone piling in with their ideas of what she should do. She’ll make the right choice, won’t she?

London was cold, the wind like ice and the clouds like filthy puddles of mud. He craned his neck trying to get a glimpse at the van but saw nothing. This was the longest he’d been away from Jennifer since they reunited. It had taken him a long time to come to terms with the baby, it was life changing. A human being he made with the love of his life, an embodiment of their love was coming into the world. It blew his mind and terrified him all at once, a child, his child. 

The usual questions that all men faced when they were to be fathers ran through his mind. Will I be a good father? What if I can’t do it? Will my fame ruin the baby’s life? Liam was terrified Jennifer would lose her privacy, receive death threats and break down. He needed her strong, she was his rock and would be the babies too.