Chapter 9 - We had everything, from time to time

‘Pirouette’ - Lisa Mitchell (A beautiful song!)

We had everything, from time to time

Liam had his big hands on Jennifer’s arms, she held the phone tightly between her fingers as she screamed at Porter. She lunged into his line of sight and Liam was so taken back by her sudden explosion. The birthing teacher’s voice in his head, ‘stress and overexertion can bring on the baby. Try to keep her calm, keep her stress levels low. If you two want to go to this wedding you need to be careful.’ 

Liam pulled her back, wrapped his muscled arms around her shaking frame, “Hey, Jen,” he soothed her. 

“Let me go,” she hissed. “You did this!” She hurled her words at Porter, unable to hurl herself at him beneath Liam’s tight grip. 

Porter frowned, “What?” Liam studied Porter’s face, blank and confused. He was at ease to know at least Porter wasn’t to blame for this, whatever was happening. 

“You’re a pig!” She hissed, her voice a mixture of unease and disgust. 

“Jen,” Liam pulled her back, “Jen, what’s wrong?”

She shrugged Liam off and charged for the car, where Dakota was hiding. Liam looked at the boys, Harry was frowning but when he went for Jennifer, Liam shook his head. “No,” he sighed to Harry, “Let me.” He smiled at Louis, “I’m sorry, this is your week.”

“Hey,” Harry grabbed Liam’s arm, “We’re all in this, always.”

Liam ran his hand through his blue hair, “I’m sorry.”

“What did you do?” Niall hissed. 

“Boys!” Zayn shouted, “Stop!”

Liam walked around the car and Dakota was sitting on the ground, her face in her hands and her pristine, carefree appearance momentarily shattered. Jennifer pushed the hair from her eyes and handed Dakota the phone, “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“What’s going on?” Liam asked. 

Dakota shook her head, “Just go, Liam.”

“He wouldn’t have let them do this,” Jennifer said sternly, she began to pace as she rubbed her stomach. “Dakota,” She sighed, “Liam wouldn’t.”

“Wouldn’t what?”

Dakota looked up, mascara ran down her face, “Liam?” She asked between hiccupped sobs. “Did you know that Porter had a photographer tailing me.”

Liam frowned, “Wait, what?”

Jennifer sighed, she pulled out her phone and dialled. “This is Jennifer,” she began. “Yes, I know.” She was frowning and Liam saw her breathing increase, “Please,” she begged. “You can’t release that, she could go to prison–“

Liam’s frown deepened. 

Dakota’s cries became louder, more hysterical, “Fuck, what have I done?”

Liam knelt down next to Dakota, he put an arm around her. “Hey,” he whispered, “What happened?”

Dakota peered up at him through her messy hair, “Daisy died for me, I have to fulfil my part of the deal.”

Liam didn’t understand but he could see her fragile state so didn’t push her, he looked up at Jennifer in complete confusion. What did you do? He rubbed her arm softly, “It’s okay,” he whispered. Though he wasn’t entirely sure anything was okay.

“Dakota,” Jennifer hissed, “Don’t you dare blame yourself, you had no choice.”

Dakota hiccupped and nodded, “He’d kill me.”