Chapter 45 - Us against the world

Us against the world

Liam opened his eyes, the bright lights of the hospital room blinding him momentarily. He raised a shaking hand to his face, Jennifer’s laugh died out as he returned to consciousness. Liam had a smile on his face, he had a son. But his joy was shattered by Jennifer’s horrified gasp. Liam sat up, hauling himself onto his knees and using the bed to support him. “Hey beauti–“

She didn’t look at him, her face was pale and eyes wide as she stared at the midwives huddled together on the far side of the birthing suite. “Why…” her voice broke. She glanced at Liam, he saw the panic in those cobalt eyes. “Why isn’t he crying?” Her shaking hand searched for Liam’s though she didn’t tear her eyes away from the midwives. 

“Hey,” he tried to steady his own voice. How could you be so stupid? He frowned, how could you not notice? Then he held her hand tighter, they were both shaking. “He’ll be okay.”

She tried to sit up, Jennifer raised her voice. “Why isn’t my baby crying?”

The midwife that helped deliver their son, though, to Liam they all looked the same. Turned around and offered a smile. “Oh honey,” she separated from the group. “He’s just catching his breath.”

That made Liam feel even more uneasy, “Sh–“ his voice was hoarse. “Shouldn’t…” he gestured behind her. “Shouldn’t he be crying,” Liam felt Jennifer’s grip on his hand tighten. “Isn’t that what baby’s do?” He asked, glancing between the midwife and his fiancé who was falling apart, heaving sobs. “Isn’t it?” he said a little louder. 

The midwife came straight over, she took Jennifer’s other hand gently as to not obstruct the canular. “Shh,” she squeezed Jennifer’s hand. “Sometimes it takes a few moments for baby to breathe.”

Jennifer let out a loud sob, “Oh no.” She shook her head, “No, after everything–“

“We’re just clearing his airway, honey. It’s okay, you’ll see.” The woman smiled, Liam believed her. She had a warm voice, her soft hand stroked Jennifer, comforted Jennifer in a way Liam couldn’t. He couldn’t comfort Jennifer because he was just as horrified as she was. 

Liam held his breath. 

“It’s okay, Jen,” he looked down at her. “It’s okay,” he didn’t truly believe himself but he needed to try and soothe her. She looked so fragile, as if she too were holding her breath. 

“But,” she swiped at her eyes, “what if it isn’t?” 

He smiled, sadly. “Jen,” he kissed her forehead. “Whatever happens, I love you so much.”

“I love you too, Liam.”

His lips lingered on her forehead, she closed her eyes and when he pulled away he whispered. “I’m going to marry you, you know.”

She smiled, “you better.” Her eyes lingered on the nurses, working and whispering. Picking up foreign looking objects and shoving it towards the baby. A bright heat lamp shone down on the baby, she could just see a small leg. “Liam,” she whispered as she looked back up at him. “I’m so scared.”

“I’m right here,” he replied. So am I.

He closed his eyes. Please, please, for the love of God let him be okay. 

Time had stopped, everything was in slow motion, he was hanging on the precipice of jubilation and devastation. The nurses, huddled together over the tiny baby whispered and then there was that familiar sound of a baby. It wailed, coughing and spluttering and Liam felt his knee’s shake. “Thank you,” he whispered to no one in particular. Liam let out a long sigh of relief.