Chapter 41 - Never felt anything like this before

Never felt anything this before

Liam was pacing outside the hospital room with the boys, she was having an examination and didn’t really need Liam looking, well… It was a small waiting room but he was thankful for the privacy nonetheless. When he reached Jennifer’s room, she was fine. It made him want to fall in a blubbering mess when she smiled, her eyes lighting up. ‘I’m okay,’ she promised and he believed her. Fourty minuted later and he excused himself for a cigarette, toilet break and moment to try and gather his thoughts with the boys. Jennifer continued to ask after Dakota, he couldn’t tell her where she was and he could see the worry in her eyes. ‘Don’t think of that, deep breaths baby,’  he tried to reassure her. Though concern for Dakota was in the back of his mind, too. 

The sunlight trickled through the frosted windows, streaking the deep blue carpet with flickers of orange and yellow. Louis was nursing a steaming cup of coffee in his hands, he looked like he could use a serious injection of caffeine. In the silence, his head began to droop as he tried to stay awake. Harry smiled, sitting next to him and took the coffee slowly out of Louis’ hands. Louis grumbled and immediately climbed into Harry’s lap with a yawn. He had his hands linked around Harry’s neck and immediately began to snore. 

Liam glanced at them with a smile, seeing Louis and Harry finally so happy he felt warmth in his chest. They were so in love and after all this time he was glad, they deserve it

“Where’s Zayn?” He asked, feeling a wave of panic. He needed the boys here, all of them. Liam felt light headed, dizzy with excitement.

Harry casually glanced up from his phone, “stuck in traffic.” Arms still wrapped around Louis tightly, he smiled, “Liam, he’ll be here.”

Liam nodded, it made sense. “How long do you think he’ll be?” he immediately asked, his words strung together. Voice wavering, an indicator he was nervous. Calm down, calm the hell down. But he couldn’t he was antsy and on the precipice of laughing hysterically of throwing up, maybe both. Liam shifted from foot to foot as he studied the boys and then repeatedly checked the time on his watch. “Where is he?” He asked again, “He should be here by now, Jennifer’s asking after Dakota and Zayn–” 

Harry lifted Louis as carefully as possible and rested him in the chair. He studied Louis’ sleeping figure for a few moments before taking off his jacket and draping it over Louis, now curled up in a ball. 

Harry smiled and and walked over to Liam, he put his hands on Liam’s cheeks and smiled brightly. His green eyes studying every inch of Liam’s face, the smile never faltering as he said, “breathe Liam, Zayn will be here.”

Liam smiled, “I’m freaking out aren’t I?”

Niall chuckled from his seat, he was three seats from Louis, a deliberate notion to remind Louis just how pissed off he really was. He sat with his legs crossed as he flicked through a car magazine. On the armrest beside him sat his phone, sunglasses and a luke-warm coffee. “A bit,” he looked up from the magazine as he smirked. “Mate, you ran into traffic.”

There was silence, Liam felt his face burn red and they all burst into laughter. “I did, didn’t I?” 

Harry smiled, his thumbs stroking Liam’s cheeks. “Deep breaths, you’re okay and Jen is okay.”

“I’m freaking out,” Liam confessed. 

“Really,” Niall remarked. “We would never have guessed.”

Harry pulled Liam into a tight hug, “Ignore him. He’s just cranky.” Harry’s eyes were watering from the pride and excitement of the first One Direction baby. “Was it cause we teased you about holding a baby?” Harry whispered as he rubbed circles into Liam’s back.