Chapter 18 - Lay me down to die

Lay me down to die

Louis’ vision was blurred, he wasn’t sure whether that was because of the tears that burst from his eyes or blood or simply from the accident. But the aggressive shouting around the car told him instantly that this was no accident. 

“Holy shit!” Zayn screamed as he looked over at Jennifer then at Porter and out of the car. “We’ve been ambushed.”

“Porter?” Dakota’s voice shrill and hands shaking violently. Her shirt was torn and blood rushed down the side of her face from a piece of glass that stuck out like a knife from her scalp. Her brown hair was sticking to her face, thick with blood but she took no notice, her eyes fixed only on Porter. 

Louis shook Jennifer lightly, “Jen!” His voice broke. “Jen,” He shook her again, “Oh God, Jesus Christ, Jennifer!”

She was limp, she didn’t move. 

“Check for a pulse,” Zayn said, trying to remain calm but his voice broke, he was trapped in his seatbelt and he groaned in pain. “Fuck, I think my ribs are broken.” He wheezed, coughing and spluttering as he tried to gasp for air. 

Louis looked at Porter, he was pinned to the side of the car, behind them where there was once the horizon out the window now only dirt and rocks. Louis and Jennifer, Zayn too for that matter were suspended by their seat belts. Porter was wheezing, Louis held out a hand, “Porter?” His face twisted in horror at the state of the wood splintered and protruding from his chest like an ugly spear, blood flooded out, staining his blue shirt.

Porter looked over at Louis with a small, broken smile, “I guess I’m out,” he coughed. 

Dakota was lurching her body forward, trying to undo her twisted, broken seatbelt as she scrambled to Porter’s side. After three lurches, the car was still on it’s side and for the moment they were separated from the men in balaclavas.

Blood began pooling out of Porter’s abdomen, he took Dakota’s hand in his own as he shuddered. “Hey,” he whispered, “Hey it’s okay.”

“Porter,” she sobbed. “Porter you’re hurt you’re–”

Zayn, trapped in his own seatbelt took Dakota’s bloody hand and frowned, he was speaking to her without words. Telling her that this was it, not to scare Porter, to keep him calm. Though they were all far from calm, their friend was dying in front of their very eyes. Then, after a few moments she understood Dakota nodded and turned back to Porter, she ran a hand over his face. 

“They’ll call for help, Harry will call for help,” She sobbed. Her hands on his face as she tried to calm him. “You’ll be okay,” She began. 

Porter smiled, eyes heavy and starting to close. 

“Porter,” Zayn shouted over the sound of feet slamming against the car. “Porter it’s okay, keep your eyes open, buddy.”

“You want to stare at me longingly?” Porter joked, weakly.

Zayn smiled, “Yeah, you’re too damn handsome for your own good. Haven’t I ever told you that?”

“Not enough,” Porter spluttered, “I’m afraid.”

Dakota sobbed, “Hey,” she gently brushed her fingers over the side of his face, pulling the hair from his eyes. “It’s okay,” She whispered though she knew it wasn’t. Her eyes betrayed her, filled with horror and she was distraught. They all were.

“I’m sorry, Dakota,” Porter coughed, meeting her eyes. Fear was written all over his face. 

“Shh,” She said, hands shaking. She pressed a quivering kiss to his bloody lips, “I’m here.”