Chapter 37 - I'm out on the edge and I'm screaming your name

‘Silver Lining’ – Hurts

I’m out on the edge and I’m screaming your name

Jennifer sat down, she rubbed her stomach and closed her eyes as the jet began to land. She was sitting next to Dakota and Liam opposite. He was pale, his skin looked grey and his eyes were empty. She wanted to take him in her arms and hold him tightly, until she squeezed every ounce of sadness from his weary bones. The sound of the air whooshing against the wings of the plane silenced her chaotic thoughts. The baby was kicking and moving, sitting on her bladder and it felt like he too was trying to escape. Maybe her beautiful little boy could sense Liam’s broken heart. She smiled to herself, knowing how amazing her little family was going to be. 

Her baby terrified her, Liam’s sadness equally terrified her but at this moment the media waiting at the airport was stealing her concentration. She was so nervous, how would she get off the jet without getting snapped by the hungry cameramen? They would be lying in wait, like assassins ready to strip her of her privacy and blast her secret to the world. All with the dangerously focused lens of a camera. 

Her phone buzzed, she looked down to see Bradley’s name. She answered, “Hey?”

‘You guys ready for this?’ Her voice was loud over the noise of the airport. 

Jennifer swallowed, “No.”

‘We have a separate van waiting to take you immediately out of the media’s eye.’

She snorted, “You think that’s enough?”

Bradley was silent, ‘I honestly don’t know. How are the boys doing?’

“With which disaster?” Jennifer asked, dryly. Dakota was holding Jennifer’s hand tightly and tapping her foot. 

‘Porter?’

“No.” Jennifer said in return, “Not good at all.”

‘Are you okay?’ 

Jennifer smiled, sadly. “What do you think?” 

‘We’re here, waiting. You’ll be safe, you’ll be okay.’ Bradley said, sternly though Jennifer didn’t believe her. 

“Who’s we?” Jennifer asked, Liam was leaning his head against the thick glass of the window. He hadn’t said much since everyone woke up. The anxiety of their baby arriving any day now was weighing heavily on him, along with the absence of his friend. His best friend, her mind corrected her. Who died in his arms

‘Sasha, myself and the new Publicist Jacob Manning,’ Bradley replied and broke Jennifer from her reverie. ‘He’s okay,’ she added as if reading Jennifer’s mind. ‘I checked him out myself, there is plenty of security ready for the boys and a separate van on request of Dako–‘ Bradley cleared her throat, ‘I mean, Daisy.’

“She’s not coming with us?” Jennifer asked, casting a curious glance at Dakota. 

Dakota shook her head and gestured at Niall who was sitting with a frown on his face, his arms folded. He cast a glance at Dakota but Jennifer noted when she met his eyes he looked away. Ouch. Jennifer could only imagine how it would feel to be iced out so harshly by someone she loved with all her heart. She stared at Liam, grateful her relationship was back on solid ground. 

Jennifer rubbed her tired eyes, “Who’s the new Manager?”

Liam looked up, his eyes filled with sadness. “Already?” He groaned and he fisted his hands in irritation, “They replaced him already?”