Chapter 22 - Come lay down in the water

Hey my lovelies. Sorry to be absent, I have hit a serious brick wall aka WRITERS BLOCK but now this book has been re-plotted within an inch of it’s life. So I am so excited for the rocky road ahead. Nothing is what it seems and no one is safe, even as you turn the last page of this cliffhanger. Wattpad was down for most of my day so I couldn’t update ’til now. Sorry for everyone who gets upset with me. Don’t forget I am working on the e-book, studying full-time and working on my own stand alone Crime Thriller. I AM A BUSY GIRL.

Also, check your inbox a bunch of regular readers have won a competition. If you would like the chance to win a signed cover keep reading, commenting and voting. 

Also, readers want to know me more? See your comments glorified on my Instagram and so forth? @50shadesof_books is the place to be. And don’t forget Twitter users @ModestSeries – The E-Book for Modest Secrets will be called Prism Secrets, it’s going to be fantastic with additional secrets and content. It is coming along really well, get to know Dakota and Jennifer more before they met they boys. It will be $3.99 AUD so I don’t know what that transfers to in other countries. Who’s excited? Love you all. 

–––––

‘Black Refuge’ – Junip

‘Illuminated’ – Hurts

Come lay down in the water 

A single drop of water fell through a hole in the roof, it landed directly between Dakota’s bruised eyes. She lay still, eyes closed and mind fuzzy as she slipped between sleep and consciousness. At this point none of them were sure which was better, being asleep or being awake? Dakota was always frightened by her nightmares, of facing her demons but now she was sure this was hell. At least in the depths of insensibility they were unable to feel pain and terror, weren’t they?Is this all a twisted dream? 

Her mind soared away from her aching body, every muscle felt as if it were twisted with barbed wire. The tension rippled through her like a thousand volts of electricity, she stopped screaming when it felt like every sound she made was grating against sandpaper. Louis’ voice was on the edge of her mind, his words were infused with agitation and dread. She turned, looking for him in the darkness but her body throbbed and dark spots twinkled like stars in her sight. Her eyes rolled back into her head and the pain began to drift away like the ocean lapping upon the shore, pulling back with the tide.

She let out a whoosh of air, her body deflated as her mind took full control and the further she slipped away the less it hurt. Dakota was feeling that same thing a person does when they are almost asleep, when they dream of falling. She suddenly found herself on the edge of a cliff, the horizon like a thousand pastel colours churned together. She felt the smile creep upon her lips as the bright sun glimmered ahead, painting the whole world in a beautiful warm orange. Dakota blinked, reopening her eyes it was as if an artist had taken their thumb and smudged it straight along the horizon, each colour melted together like pastels or chalk. Yellow swam with orange and swiftly rolled along the clouds into deep purples and heated pinks. The pink was her favourite, it transcended into beautiful puffy clouds that looked more like fairy floss or marshmallows. 

Then she heard the crashing sound below, she looked and a gust of wind blew up at her sending her brown hair swirling like a crown of snakes around her head. Her lips pulled back in a gasp as she focused on the hungry churning clouds far below. She could hear her name like a whisper on the wind. ‘Dakota–’ and ‘Dakota, please.’

Unlike the sky, the sea was uninviting and cold. The dark blues looked like black ink and she shuddered trying to step back from the ledge. It felt like two large hands were on the back of her hips and shoving her forward. She opened her mouth to scream but she was soundless, air escaped but the only reverberation was the waves colliding against the jagged rocks.