:Genius: Chapter Fifteen

“Welcome to the 25th annual Gifted Champion's contest. We're here in Grace Valley school as they prepare to go against rival school Brazil's De Lertia. The victors of this 90 minute long competition will go on to London to compete with the reigning champions London School of Economics in the finals. In this competition there are twelve five minute rounds and three ten minute breaks. The challengers, Brazil's De Lertia claim to have a secret weapon...” I blocked out the news reporter. The semi-finals and the finals of the Gifted Champion's are always put on live television apparently. It was watched internationally but I made a point to skirt around the camera's view. The three teams that managed to get into the final rounds were like nerd celebrities, and the schools were always getting sponsors from wealthy do-gooders. The main hall of Grace Valley was done out. The stage had been set up with two tables, a podium in the middle, a black board behind the right table and seven seats sat behind them. Below the stage was the couple of thousand seats laid out. The stage was in the dead centre, and you had to walk down the steps to get to the steps that lead to the stage. I was trying to navigate my way around the swarming crowds. Asha, as always, was freaking out about a forgotten lucky pencil. So I had trailed back to our bedroom, rummaged through her neat and chronologically ordered things until I found it and put all of Asha's stuff exactly where I found it.

That brings us back to the navigating through the crowds and trying to avoid the cameras. If you went to Mcceath school you usually try to avoid being documented on camera. Especially if you're already a celebrity. I found my way back stage, six of the seven Grace Valley champions were there. I jogged over to Asha, who was on the brink of a full out panic attack. She was flicking through two different books, Mathematics and equations of the 21st century and Modern views on historical events. I caught Jean's eyes and she smirked slightly, glancing at Asha and sighing amused.

“After we win this, I'm getting some hazelnuts.” She announced, causing us to look at her questioningly. She shrugged, “Just trying to get your minds off of the Champion's.” She mumbled, and turned to talk to Natalie, who being the nice person she was, shot me a meaningful glare. I rolled my eyes at her and sat next to Asha.

“Jane, I'm going crazy.” She shrieked, and started reading lines of the books in the wrong order. I grabbed the books from her and threw them across the room, they went through the curtain and probably onto the stage. Asha stared at me, horrified. Harred just came back through from the other side of the curtain.

“Guys, Modern Views on Historical Events just hit Mr Linen in the head.” He told us, making the two kids I didn't know but who's names I heard were Kim and Derrick, laugh.

“Jane, I had to study!” She practically shouted at me.

“Asha, how old are you?”

“Fifteen.” She answered, bewildered.

“What is your real name?”

“Matrisha Kent.”

“Where are you?”

“In America, eight metres from the view of the front stage in the main hall of the curriculum wing of Grace Valley School for the Gifted.” I smiled at her long winded answer, I knew she was itching to give more information about where she was.

“Exactly, and no one deserves to be in that spot more than you, because you are smart enough to win this, and right now the thing you need to know is that you are Matrisha Kent, age 15 and have six other people willing to back you up. The smart stuff comes later, and you'll know it because you're Matrisha Kent. Okay?” She stared at me like I was the only to ever believe in her, which I knew wasn't true, but still made me feel too maternal for my liking. When she finally nodded I patted her knee and stood up, and found most of the guys staring at me.