:Genius: Chapter Twenty Seven

It was Saturday morning, and I was in Mack's room along with Asha and Harred. Mack was leaning against his desk and watching Asha explain Kirchoff's Laws and Potential Dividers, which would have been really helpful to me two years ago, when I was actually learning Kirchoff's Laws. She managed to explain it a lot better than my Physics teacher from McCeath's. That might be because my Physics is really bad, and this time round I actually know what I'm doing. Harred was just here because a football- soccer game was cancelled - the keeper had decided to go home for his holidays in July. The numbers were really dwindling. Of course, the school was open until the day before the Gifted Champions finals, which was the date the champions left for England, but the actual end of school was June 15th; most people had stayed for Anton's party, some had stayed because their homes obviously sucked, other because these Americans are a competitive bunch and they’re all scrambling to be the best in this school. I stayed because Lucy and Austin live just across the field and run this fine institute.

It was fine with me; I was used to leaving school end of July. It also meant I had more time to catch up with my fellow students.

I made a grab for my drink which was sitting adjacent to myself to distract me from the education system. I should have known it was coming, but Mack waited until I took a sip of my drink before he spoke.

“So have you and Anton shared any more bed time, Jane?” He had deliberately waited for me to take a drink, so I would snort and choke. Which of course, I did, coughing as my throat constricted. Asha patted my back solemnly, though both Harred and Mack laughed at my expense.

“Excuse you?” I exclaimed, panting slightly.

“Did you think he was getting to the hospital each night by taxi?” he questioned, the ghost of his laugh still etched on his lips.

I refused to meet his gaze.

I'd assumed Anton was the kind of person that didn’t like his business being known by the teachers. He was either proud of the fact he was taking me on a date or he saw Mack as more of a friend than a teacher.

“Do you taxi for all of your Students?” I asked, smirking slightly. He looked at me knowingly, and then he smirked.

 “We were finishing some of his homework, I offered him a ride.” So it wasn’t that Anton was seen him as more of a friend. Not if he was going to Mack for homework.

Mack was staring at me expectantly, waiting for me to realise what that meant. Anton was proving to Mack that we were together, even if we weren’t at the time.  I felt myself blush under his penetrating gaze. Mack once again proved he knew everything. That bastard.

“oh, Janey and Anton sitting in a tree K-I-S-S-N-G.” Harred laughed, humming as he waved his arm to the sound of his own, imaginary orchestra. Asha gave him a reprimanding look, to which he avoided skilfully. 

“So what, you guys are dating now?” Harred asked, after his Second verse of “Anton & Janey”. I looked down, reminding myself of how Anton had asked me out. I was supposed to wait until Four O’clock, when he would come and get me. I hadn’t a clue what he had planned. I bet Mack knew.

“No we’re not!” I exclaimed, wondering if everyone thought how good, “Anton and are dating” sounded. They probably were not.

“Not yet, anyway.” Mack caught me out straight away. “When’s your first date, Jane? Is it tonight?”

“Could you please shut up? Seriously, Mr Linen, you’re all talk today. ”

“You’re very touchy today, child.” He stated blandly. I pulled a face at him.