:Genius: Chapter Three

The orphanage was that out of a horror film. The terrible, but expected, English weather made it seem more creepy as I was walking up to the big oak doors. The stones were bleached white, though the weather had faded it grey. Creeping vines wound there way up the stone porch and to the stop. It was small, maybe containing five rooms, but the yard was big. The drive was straight out a spy movie. Fancy fountains, and grass greener than what looked natural, flowers scattered, and pale grey stones crunching under the car. I grabbed my holdalls and followed the police in. Unlike Mcceath's, the children were openly staring. Every window in sight held an unfamiliar face.

The inside of the house was just as movie scene themed. As soon as you walked in you had three choices of direction, up the wooden banister stair way, on the far right, through the giant arch leading into a living room of children on the left, and straight down past the two other option to what looked like the kitchen.

We chose the last option, but just after the stairs we veered right, into what looked like an office. There were hardly any decorations, a book case at the back, covered in leather bound books hundreds of years old. The carpet was grey, the walls were white and there was a desk in the centre of the room. On the desk was a brass lamp, stationary and a small cactus that had died. Behind the desk sat a stern looking lady. She had grey hair that was poorly disguised behind red hair dye, wearing a bright yellow suit, she had tell tale wrinkles around her eyes and mouth, and her eyes were glossy, like she hardly cared anyone was here.

“Mrs Poacher, this is Jane Bostan.” The first officer said. Mrs Poacher made a notion with her hand as if to say she knew, but didn't care.

“You're in good hands, Jane.” The second officer said, and nodded before leaving. The first officer sat down,I sat crouched in the chair besides, trying to act like a normal, if not slightly depressed teenager.

“Her information came?” The police officer ask finally. She nodded. They stared at each other again, then stood up. “I'll leave you two, then, busy day.” He stood up and exited the room, bowing his head as he left. Now we were alone. There was silence in the room as we looked at each other, expecting someone else to say the first word. T She assessed me with her eyes before speaking.

“You went to the private school, a few miles up the road, Mcceath's, correct?” Her voice was just a whisper, surprising to her looks.

“Yes.” I stated curtly. She stood up, again surprising me with her agility.

“I won't pretend I know what you're going through, even though I lost my parents as a child, because every case is different, I'm not going to wait on you hand and foot, and the teaching here that goes in is by a simple tutor from the local school. You're not special here.” I stared at her unblinking.

“Can you tell me where my room is? If everyone here is going to judge me to be spoilt brat that can't do anything for myself like you have, I'd rather not start fights with anyone.” Mrs Poacher stared at me.

“We have to set a few rules first, Miss Bostan. Firstly, no fights.” She gave me a pointed look. I smiled politely. It was all I had left in me.

I spent the first week at Pennyville orphanage locked in my room. As soon as Mrs Poacher had gave me the go-ahead to my room I had stayed there. I was being a good little orphan, though. Staying out of trouble, not being overly demanding, helping out whenever I could. There was another orphan warden named Paul Poacher, the son of Mrs Poacher. He treated me like an adult, and I helped him cook the meals for the orphans sometimes. He was only about twenty two, with sandy brown hair and cool green eyes. We got on well, and he told me about his girlfriend, Gina, who was attending Cambridge. He had worked at the orphanage since his mother had a stroke. He had apparently planned to go off with Gina to Cambridge, wanting to become a medical student. He now spent time as a first aider, he couldn't leave after Mrs Poacher's illness. He just cleaned wounds of the other Orphan's.