:Genius: Chapter Eight

"You don't know how to use algebra?" he asked, staring at me curiously. My gaze wondered past him and his diagram on the sand to the flowing waters of the ocean. There's so many wonders in the world. People try and explain them without really looking at them. How can you give evidence of something you have never noticed? I looked back at Linkan. His eyebrows were furrowed deeply and his brown eyes seemed sad. Like he was pitying me, I wondered if he knew the colour of the Hollyhock by the river.

"No," I stated simply, my face hidden in a shadow. "What's the point of more problems in life?" I asked.

-Extract from 'sin paradise' by Ocyne Liyla.

“Good Morning Jane” Asha was standing over me, a hint of a smile on her face.

“Morning.” I grumbled. Thursdays are abominable. You make it half way through the week thinking you are soon finished, then Thursday obstructs your view of the weekend.

“Hey come one, you have a free period today, you can just wander about, but you have to go to first lesson.” She said, pulling the covers off of the bed, and subsequently, me. I had shown Asha my timetable last night, it seemed she had a really good memory.

The curtains were drawn back. The sun was was dancing lightly on the marble tops of the desk. I sighed and took a sweeping glance of the place, Asha's bed was perfectly neat, even the lamp was in the exact centre of her side table while Jean's bed was vacant, but bedraggled. Clothes were corrupting the neat scene.

“She has already went to get breakfast” Asha smiled sadly, when she saw me looking towards the empty bed. I shrugged half-heartedly, trying to pretend

“We have IT first, we're suppose to be learning how to create a computer programme.” I sighed. At home, We were learning how to create super firewalls, and the spy students were learning how to hack into them.

Every week the spy students and the higher learning students would compete.

My fire wall, which I had named 'Alyil' had won more times than I could count, I remember once Lily chose to be on the higher students one time, to see if she could. Her software, 'Sensore' had only been cracked once by a spy student named Camille, she was the best hacker, and was always put on my fire wall during the contest. Every time she tried to hack into my Firewall, she was relocated to a different computer. One time, I remember, she thought she had cracked it, She then found out my software had relocated her to the schools student files. Now, I believe Catherine sold Alyil to the President of the United States. I had gifted it to her as an apology for Camille.

“Hey, Jane, it's not that bad, I can tutor you, if you want.” I smiled releasing my glazed look and sigh had made Asha think I was dreading it because of my lack of intelligence.

“Would you?” I asked, making my voice sound hopeful. She nodded, and I briefly wondered if I should take up acting or drama.

That thought was quickly diminished. The reason I wrote was because it didn't bring attention to myself, though it brought attention to my books, anyway, I wasn't a good actor, just a good liar.

I was happy I was Jane Bostan. It meant I was a nobody, another face in the crowd. I hated media attention to say the least, and I finally had the chance to be normal.

“Oh, and Jane, apparently your things came for you. That clothes screen over there is for you, behind it is a closet. I glanced over at the screen,. It was a Chinese type, with floral patterns cascading down the screen, and a bright green dragon swooping down from the left and curving at the very bottom.

It was beautiful. I stumbled my way towards it, my eyes still heavy will sleep. The closet was the same type, black with pink flowers surrounding more  green dragons. The two dragons on this were intertwined but straight, instead of the screen dragon's curving. On the inside of the right door there was a long mirror, on the left side, there was a small draw with contained the same patterned hair brush, a deep black hair dryer, and a black set of straighteners with green flowers on. Then there was all my clothes. I bit my lip, this wasn't mine, and it was obviously expensive.