:Genius: Chapter Nine

They wash up on the shores.”

The rubbish?”

I tend to call them people, but you can call them that too.”

~ Extract from 'Sin Paradise' by best selling author, Ocyne Liyla.

Asha decided where to sit as I was busy wondering if my author's mind and reality's wall had finally collapsed in on itself and I was going crazy, unfortunately she chose to sit up front, in the middle desk. Mr Linen then had an excuse, because I was in his immediate line of sight, to ask me questions that were so tedious to Ocyne, yet I couldn't answer, effectively frustrating me. Finally he got so irritated that he asked me to stay behind. Asha sent me an 'I told you so' look, reminding me of her earlier speech on how I was going to get in a lot of trouble, before she noticed Mr linen's stare, blushed, and quickly retreated out of the classroom. I cocked an eyebrow, wondering if the effects of Mr Linen were not just on genius teenagers at an all girls boarding school. Slowly the class started to file out, I took this time to see who I had English with, a couple of people's face I recognised, and I saw Harred smirk at me like he expected me to get in trouble with this new genius of a teacher. I stuck my tongue out at him, causing him to chuckle slightly as he left. I crossed my arms, did every one think of me as a trouble maker?

When there was no one in sight or in hearing range, Mr Linen smirked.

“What, no hug for your favourite teacher?” I shook my head slightly, clearing my thoughts and hugged him. Even if he was the biggest prat England has ever seen, he made the cover that I wasn't just average, but in a special education program that got me into the idiot state of mind and he just embarrassed me in front of my new English class, he really was my favourite teacher, one of the best I ever had, and Asha wasn't lying when she said he was a genius.

Mack went to St Philips as a child and when he left was a spy for a couple of years then he started work at Mcceath. He started the same date I started. It was safe to say we went past the average student teacher relationship, not only was he close friends with my parents because of his spy connection, but he was my proof reader for my stories. We were very good friends, though of course, we weren't allowed to add each other on social networks nor phone numbers. He was like the father I've lost. My real dad was his best friend, if it wasn't for the spy business making all of his background information a little classified making him unable to adopt, I know he would have become my adopted dad.

“What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be teaching people big words instead of kids their A,B,Cs?” I laughed.

“Kids their A,B,Cs?” He laughed, then saw my face and sobered up. “Mcceath did warn you.” I bit my lip,trying to think, then it clicked.

“The letter?Tagged on the end of the wardrobe? I didn't think they meant it so literally when they said they would be watching me.” He shook his head, smirking slightly. “I though they meant records, phone calls, books, so on and so forth.”I smiled, only just releasing it was hard to in the silence. It was the first time I had seen Mack since I found out my parents had died nearly two months ago. I wondered briefly why he didn't come to see me in the orphanage, but immediately cast the thought aside. He was still working in Mcceath then, and he was just as upset about my parents death as me, or closest apart from my old head teacher.

Mack sat on his desk and stared at me, analysing everything in my facial features, I was use to it after four years of Mcceath's.

“How are you Ocyne? Really?” This made me sigh, even if I was expecting it.

“That’s the first time someone has asked me that question.” I sat next to him and shrugged. “I don't know.” He gave me a look.

“I'm glad that I'm not an average girl, that my parents got to see me living my dream before they...” I closed my eyes. “I think it's just that I miss Mcceath. I may like to be average, but only for a day, when we went to town and on trips. I'm not living my dream here, I'm just … nobody, and I never realised how boring that was.”