:Genius: Chapter Twelve

I'm not dead. But when I am, it's like... I don't know, I guess it's like being inside a book that nobody's reading.... An old one. It's up on a library shelf, so you're safe and everything, but the book hasn't been checked out for a long, long time. All you can do is wait. Just hope somebody'll pick it up and start reading. ~Tim O'Brien

Biology was a lesson I loved and excelled at. Science wasn't always my calling, when I had to work harder and harder to achieve my degree in English, no matter how hard I worked at it, science just wouldn't work. All science, except for biology. For the first few months of my being at Mcceath’s everyone expected me to become a micro organism engineer. I kept my being an author as big as a secret I could. I wrote my first book, Deities, within the first year. When Caroline read it she helped me keep it a secret, before it was actually published only she, Mack and I knew about the talent I was labouring, and damn did I have to work to edit it. I was a fast learner in the art of grammar and spelling, but I was still eleven, and Mack worked for hours at night with me to get it presentable. After the publishing date I had never read that story again, in fact, I haven’t read any of the stories I’ve written after the publishing date.

With that insight to my reading life, I’ll continue on how Biology was relevant to this time. It was Wednesday, and I was sitting in it. Asha hadn’t taken biology, instead going for the more prestigious double Physics class, but luckily for me (and I’m using sarcasm here), Jean had taken it too. We were stuck with each other as lab partners. Jean had been effectively ignoring me since she first introduced herself. I hardly saw her and when I did, because she was friends with Asha, Harred and Barbi- Natalie, she acted as if I was an irritating girlfriend of a friend, kind of like how I treat Natalie, but then again, Natalie was an irritating girlfriend of a … friend of a friend.

I was okay with it, I guess. One less person I didn't have to pretend I was an idiot to. I kind of enjoyed her company too, before I came to this school I spent most of my time surrounded by students who wanted autographs, help, or just to compliment me. While I enjoyed some attention, I don't think being a celebrity is my calling. Being next to Jean made me forget that, I was just an idiot kid living normally and trying to get a education in order to start my life. I had purposefully ignored the teacher, which went against all the training I had received, by hey, I wasn't going to be a spy. I found it easy to act uneducated when I don't listen to the teacher and therefore have no idea as to what we were suppose to be doing.

Jean had gotten the heart of the cow we were supposed to be dissecting, and split the bag with the scalpel. We switched with the scalpel and the scissors from time to time, until she told me to cut the pulmonary artery, which was quite tough, and I ripped through it with the scalpel, through the plastic gloves I've been wearing. I started to bleed. I've done this a few times before, and I knew it was nothing to worrying about, but well, Jane had other ideas.

“Oh my God!” I said, a little too loudly and the people along from us looked over. “Its blood touched mine!” I whinned, removing the gloves.

“Are you-” Jean started to say, but I cut her off.

“It's given my AIDS, hasn't it? How am I going to tell the doctor I've got AIDS of a cow? Oh, god! I'm probably HIV positive! I feel tingly! Crap, Mad Cow's Disease! Am I frothing at the mouth?” I asked Jean, the words starting push into each other until it was an near unintelligible mess of vowel and consonants.