Seventy Nine

Mitch gasped loudly and grabbed onto Scott's upper arm.  "What was that?"

Alex spoke softly. "I coughed, babe."

Mitch squeezed his eyes shut and hid his face in Scott's arm. "This is dumb, I can't do this."

Scott kissed the top of his head. "Yes you can, babe. But if you're really that scared we can go--"

"No, no. I'm fine."

They all wandered together down a hallway, nobody uttering a word unless they had to.

For example when one of the doors slammed shut, and Avi immediately shouted. "Cool!"

Mitch was still hiding in Scott's arm. "Fuck that. Fuck this. Fuck--"

Scott spoke quietly. "Shh, honey. It's okay."

Avi walked over and opened the door again, which turned out to be a door to a storage closet. "Do it again."

Mitch immediately whined at him. "Don't antagonize the demons while I'm here, please."

"Mitch, just--" Avi stopped speaking, as the door slowly closed by itself right in front of his face.

Alex's breath got caught in his throat. "Holy shit." He reached out to pull Avi back a step by his arm.

Avi shook him off. "I'm fine."

Scott just nodded once. "Let's keep moving."

Avi was quick to follow, putting a hand on Alex's lower back to make sure Alex wasn't at the back of their group.

He'd only taken about two steps before the same door opened just enough to slam and startle all of them.

Mitch whimpered softly and squeezed Scott's arm even tighter. "Oh God."

Avi kept Alex behind him, as he took a step toward the door again.

He decided he wanted to check and make sure, opening the door to peek inside the closet.

The chances of anyone being in there were slim, but he had to be sure.

He closed the door gently and stepped away slowly. "Alright then. Let's get the fuck--"

The lights above him turned off, interrupting his sentence.

Scott practically ripped his arm from Mitch's grip, only to put said arm around Mitch's waist to keep him safe.

Mitch responded by wrapping both arms around Scott's stomach and grabbing onto his shirt. "Scottie, I'm scared."

The lights flickered back on, somewhat abruptly.

Alex grabbed Avi's arm again. "Okay that's it. Let's go."

Avi allowed it, only because his mind was racing with other thoughts.

Scott hurried to walk them out of the hallway. "The lobby is this way." He mumbled, only to give Mitch reassurance.

Mitch was still clinging to him, breathing heavily out of fear. "I told you I didn't want to do this ghost shit and you--" Mitch stopped talking when the lights flickered again.

Alex spoke up behind him. "Just keep walking, Mitchie. It's gonna be okay."

Scott stopped dead in his tracks when he watched another door fly open, only to slam shut. "Oh alright then."

Mitch was practically shaking in fear, as Scott continued walking.

Scott decided if he didn't let things bother him, it might calm Mitch down.