Chapter 44

Once again, Jennifer was sitting in the driver's seat, her short blonde hair flying behind her head as she had rolled the windows down. The sound of rushing wind filled the whole car, which was very nice considering no one was talking, and silence would've been absolutely unbearable at this point.

Connor was accompanying Jenny in the front seat, and Jc was seated in the middle seat in the back, directly to the right of myself. He was silently reading the newfound papers along with me, scanning for any information that we didn't already have.

Most of the documents didn't do much help for us; prescriptions for various medications, room assignments, referrals from hospitals. There were occasional pictures of my mother intertwined with the medical and physical evaluations, and just from the few that were there, you could see her body deteriorating.

We were missing a good portion of information from the second time she was admitted, but we had plenty from the first and almost everything from the last.

It looked as though she was in Rose House before I was born, then again when I was about two for maybe a year, and once again when I was five until she...

died.

killed herself.

whatever happened.

When Jc and I found a piece of information that could be shocking in any way, he was always sure to give me a squeeze on the shoulder. Something that said 'I'm here for you'.

It was nice to be able to have him as such a good friend to me right now. I refused to refer to him as my brother, because that concept was still extremely abnormal to me.

We decided to stop for dinner when we got back into town, because it was starting to get a bit late out.

"So what all have you got so far?" Connor said while stuffing a handful of fries in his mouth. This was the first time he talked since we left Rose House.

Jc's mouth was also full of food, so I went ahead and spoke up for the both of us.

"Well, we have dates. More letters, and a diagnoses. She was mentally insane, something I never knew when I was a kid. She always seemed perfectly normal to me. One thing Jc and I have been trying to figure out is these letters.

"It seems as if she had been talking to a woman named Lydia, which is the same name as Jc's biological mother. My mom never mentions her last name, though, so we're not one hundred percent on that one. We haven't finished looking through all those either." I took a moment to catch my breath. Both Jennifer and Connor were waiting patiently.

Jc picked up for me. "Also, it looks as if she was reported for attempted escape about 6 times. They found her hiding things under her bed to try to use as picks for the locks, and repeatedly attempting to break through the windows. They had to put her in a higher surveillance room several times after that, but she still managed to escape."

At this point Jc stopped, looking to me as permission. Even though it was still very hard for me to process, or even think about for that matter, I gave him a slight nod. He returned a concerned look in my direction before continuing his explanation.

"When her mother escaped from Rose House, she found her father and.. She killed him. She was the one that drove her car off the cliff with him in the passenger seat. So, she committed suicide along with murdering her husband." Jc cautiously stated to the group.

Connor sat completely silent and shocked, he knew about my family story more than Jc or Jennifer, considering we used to be best friends. This information came as a shock just as much to him as it did to me.