Chapter 15

***Ronnie's POV***

I pushed Connor away from me quickly and I felt my cheeks getting hot.

Ellie was so touchy when it came to me dating her brother, and I could tell that she would be upset with me for the rest of the night. Knowing her, she would probably be all pouty and hurt about it.

Sometimes I just couldn’t deal with her immaturity.

"He just helped me set up our tent," I said and turned towards Ellie.

That was true, he did help. It’s not my fault everything got all emotional.

"That's not what it looks like he was doing," She said quickly back, her words like ice.

"Sorry, I'll go now," Connor said before giving my hand a squeeze and exiting the tent.

I wished I could have had more time to talk to him, but I guessed I would just talk to him later.

I wondered if Ellie knew anything about this?

Or Timothy?

"Hello? Earth to Veronica?" Ellie's voice cut in, dragging me back from my thoughts.

"I'm sorry, what did you say?" I replied, trying to keep myself optimistic.

She was obviously irritated, so I chose my words carefully.

"I said that you should go and get your things out of Jake's car before he leaves. He's going to go get some food for the week with Alexa and Timothy. If you want to get everything ready, you better go get everything now," She said, not even attempting to sound positive.

"Okay," I replied, quickly moving out of the tent.

If I didn't get out of there, she probably would have bit my head off.

I grabbed my bags and threw them in next to Ellie's things. Our tent was the farthest away from the cars, next to Kinley and Hannah's.

"Is anyone else coming with us?" Jacob asked from his car.

"I'll go with y'all." Kinley replied.

She probably just wanted to be with Timothy, of course. She hopped into the back seat of the car and they drove off.

I took this as a chance to go and talk to my sister, alone, for the first time in so long.

"Hey Hannah," I said, smiling as I entered her tent.

"Hey Ronnie! I was just finishing making my "bed". What do you think?" She asked using air quotes and laughing.

She was being so friendly I almost forgot what was so intimidating about her.

"It looks...good?" I replied, laughing. "I don't really know what would look good in a ratchet old tent like this, so I think that you did a good job."

"Thanks, I try." She said, bowing.

She sat down on a pillow and gestured for me to do the same. I hesitated for a moment but then sat down across from her.

I was still kind of nervous around her, so I just looked down at the rubber band I was playing with on my wrist.

"How are things going with you?" She asked after a short silence.

Was she really interested, or just trying to make conversation?

Stop thinking so much.

"Really good actually. School hasn't been that hard so far and I still have a few really good friends that I hang out with even though most of them went to different schools." I responded.