Chapter 34

***Veronica’s POV***

Jc’s hand quickly moved from where it was placed on my back and he turned away from me in disbelief. I was still trying to process the information that was thrown at the two of us without any warning.

How could Jc and I be related? It made absolutely no sense whatsoever. This had to be some kind of joke, because if it wasn’t, it would change everything.

If Jc was my brother, it meant that my dad cheated on my mom before I was even born. And if Jc’s birth certificate was in this house, my mom had to have known that my father had a kid with another woman. If she knew that he cheated on her, then why was I even here now? Why would she have another child with him if she knew that he was unfaithful?

But maybe she didn’t know. There was a chance that my father somehow kept this a big secret from her, all the way until her death, but I don’t know if he could’ve pulled that off.

And who is Lydia Reeves? Jc knew that she was his biological mother, but where does she go in all of this? The name doesn’t sound familiar at all, I must not have heard it at all in my childhood. And where is she now? Is she even alive?

I tried to say something to Jc, at least an attempt to break the ice, but the words just wouldn’t come out. What the hell was going on?

“Veronica, why do you have this?” Jc asked, his breaths calculated, trying to stay steady.

It was instantly obvious to me that he had just as little of an idea about this as I did. He looked confused, mad, and.. scared even. I had never seen him this exposed.

“I really don’t know,” I said, staring at him without knowing what else to do.

I grasped the certificate out of his shaking hands, taking another look to make sure that the printed words were really there.

And they were.

“What does this mean?” He asked a question with no possible answer. Any answer would be wrong, or change everything. If this was fake in some way, that would just be a terribly sick joke. But if it was real, if Jc was really my brother, then it would make me feel sick about the feelings I so obviously had for him.

“I really don’t  know,” I repeated. I was just as lost in this situation as he was.

“Veronica, get out of your room with him! No closed doors! And dinner’s ready so get out here!” Hannah’s voice yelled from the other side of my small house. She had a way of always butting in at the worst times, but right then, I was almost happy that she interrupted us, because I was too surprised to try to think it through at the moment.

I stared at Jc for another moment before getting up and starting towards the door without hesitation. He snatched my arm and pulled me back towards him in a swift movement.

“Don’t mention this. We have to figure more out about it first, then we can see if they know anything,” He said quietly. I wasn’t planning on mentioning it anyway. Knowing my siblings, they wouldn’t take it well, and it would probably just turn into a big argument that I didn’t need right now.

“And Ronnie,” He pulled me closer. “This doesn’t change anything.”

“Yes it does, Jc,” I said, softly pulling my arm out of his grasp and continuing towards the door.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know that this is a sad excuse for a chapter, but I’m really struggling with time, so I figured that I would just update a little instead of nothing. And soo many people like attacked me after my last chapter so just chill, it’ll be alright, okay?

Okay.

Are we still friends?

Good :)

Love Always,

~shelbigrace