Chapter 32

***Veronica’s POV***

At the sound of lightning, I woke quickly and bolted up into a sitting position. I looked around me, confused at first about where I was before realizing that I was laying on the couch in Kara and Jc’s apartment. The TV was silently playing, so I reached over to the remote and switched it off.

Sitting on the couch next to me was Jc, and Kara was in another chair on the other side of the room. They were both still asleep, and I was surprised that the storm hadn’t woken them yet.

Stretching, I stood up and crossed the room to check the time. The clock on the wall read 12:45. It was Sunday morning, and Christmas was only two days away.

For the past week and a half, I practically lived in this apartment, staying as far away from home as physically possible.

Kara and Jc’s parents were hardly ever home, since it was vacation, so we had the house to ourselves for the most part. The others would occasionally come over, but Devon was on vacation with his family, and Grace was going to be as well.

It was nice to have Jake and Hannah home again, but I couldn’t stay at that house for too long. Everything reminded me of him. So many memories were stored inside that house, and across the street. I was trying to get him completely off my mind, and staying with Kara and Jc has done just that.

I had been thinking a lot lately about Jc lately. There was no doubt that I had an attraction to him, but I didn’t want to do anything about it just yet. For a while, I needed to be single and just.. relax.

Feet shuffled in the other room, and soon Kara came to join me in the kitchen. She had her hair up in a messy bun and she was wearing her glasses. It was pretty adorable, considering the fact that she usually wore contacts when she was around me.

“Good morning,” I smiled at her. “Do you want some coffee?”

In the short amount of time that I had spent here, I learned where everything was, and helped myself to things on a regular basis. Kara nodded her head, and I was glad that I had already started a pot of coffee.

“Grace is leaving tonight, so I was going to hang out with her today. Are you fine here with just Jc?” She asked, yawning.

“What about Jc?” A male voice came from the doorway.

He was casually leaning against the frame, with tired eyes and rumpled hair. I tried to answer his question, but my breath caught in my throat as he reached his arm to scratch the back of his head. The muscles in his arms flexed, leaving the words jumbled in my mouth.

“It’s just you and Ronnie today,” Kara said, completely unmindful of my lack of speech.

“Sounds good to me,” He responded, flashing me a smile before pouring himself coffee and joining us at the counter.

Peaceful silence was being shared until my phone beeped and interrupted the quiet. I quickly grabbed it off of the counter in front of me and looked at the caller ID: Timothy.

“Hello?” I answered immediately.

“When are you going to come home today? We were hoping to see you sometime, you know, because you only have so much time with Hannah and Jake,” His voice sounded frustrated and nervous from the other end.

I looked at Kara and Jc, hopeful that they weren’t eavesdropping on my conversation. It wasn’t private or anything, I just didn’t like it when people got in my business.

“I’ll be home at..” I thought for a moment. How much time did I want to kill with Jc before I made my way back to my home? “Is 5:00 okay? That way I can help with dinner.”