Chapter 23

***Connor's POV***

Thursday morning, and she still hadn't called.

Was she done with me?

This whole problem had spiraled out of control, and I just wished that she would come back to me, and things could return the way they were before.

Before I moved.

Before Jc.

Before Jennifer.

If only Jennifer had never come into my life, this never would have happened.

Why did I let myself trust someone who I didn't even know?

I was naïve to believe that there was something real there with her.

The only real I had truly felt was with Veronica.

And now she was gone.

But was she gone forever? Or would she eventually come back to me like they always do in those sappy movies that she loves so much?

I was beginning to feel like Noah, and my very own Allie was slipping away from me to be with a better man.

But who was this other guy that she had been spending all of her time with?

The only thing I knew of him was that he was related to Kara.

Was he any better than me?

"Connor?" My father asked, leaning his head in front of me.

I didn't respond, I didn't want to talk to that man. If he would've just stayed away from me, I never would've lost Ronnie.

"Connor, son, look at me," He said again.

"Son," I uttered sarcastically and chuckled a little.

He sighed and sat down in a large armchair in front of me.

"Michelle talked to her sister about that job," He tried again.

There had to be some catch to this, Michelle didn't want to help me. Why would she go out of her way to do that for someone who I knew she despised? The only people she really liked were my father and Jennifer.

I stayed silent and stared at a small crack in the wall.

"Connor, If you want to be successful in life, you just have to start somewhere. This is a great opportunity for you to work around something that you are fond of," He said.

"Don't even try to talk to me about being successful," I retorted.

I looked around me at the stained walls, cracks everywhere. My eyes stopped when they reached the kitchen and I looked over the oven that didn't work most of the time, and the dishwasher that you had to kick to make it start.

This was not the definition of successful.

"I know that's not what I am, but I want it for you. I'm trying to help-" He said.

"You're not trying to help me, you never have been!" I raised my voice now, and I was glad that Kinley left early to make up a test.

"Don't you dare yell at me, or I swear-" He started, his face cold now.

"Swear what? Are you gonna threaten me? Well I've heard it all before, so give it to me, what are you gonna do?" I said.

His fists clenched and unclenched, and I could tell that he was fighting the urge to start a physical altercation.

He looked really angry now, but honestly, I didn't care.

"Go to school, son," He breathed.

"Son? I am not your son! I will never-" I was stopped by the palm of his hand making sharp contact with my face, then pulling away, leaving my cheek stinging.