Chapter 38

***Ronnie's POV***

I woke to the smell of sugary cinnamon, which could only mean monkey bread. Making monkey bread on Christmas morning was pretty much the only tradition that my family held. We didn’t ever do any traditional Christmas things, like stockings and milk and letters for Santa. I was taught at a very young age that Santa wasn’t real, only a figment of imagination placed by adults into the minds of children.

When I was younger, I always loved helping my mother bake in the morning. After she died, when I was eight, I helped my grandmother, and now it’s just sad, so I let Hannah do the work.

A body moved near me, startling me for a moment before I remembered that I let her sleep in my room. Jennifer turned her body to face me and quickly averted her eyes when she saw that I was awake.

In the quick glance that I got of her, I noticed that her eyes were still slightly puffy from last night, and she looked as if she didn’t get much sleep. I still didn’t know what happened with Connor’s dad, but I kind of felt bad for her, so I decided to just play nice for a while.

“Did you sleep?” I asked, choosing my words carefully.

She looked shocked that I was actually being nice to her, and that’s when I realised how mean I was being to her. She never really did anything to me. I needed to be nicer to her, to everyone really, if I wanted to get anywhere in life.

“A little,” She said in a small morning voice. “I woke up a few times.”

“Same here,” I said.

We layed there for a while, just staring at the ceiling, until I spoke up again.

“So.. what happened last night?” I blurted out.

She sighed and looked like she was about to cry. I almost retracted my statement, but decided that I wanted her to answer. I couldn’t stand not knowing why she was here in the first place.

“Well, it all started when we were arguing about your friends, Kara and Grace,” She explained

“Why were you arguing about them?” I asked quickly. As far as I knew, she had no business with my friends.

“We saw them at the pier together. Like together together. Like kissing,” She rushed out, I could tell she knew I was eager for an explanation.

Wait, what?

How could they be gay? I knew that they were really great friends, but I didn’t know they were that great of friends. I instantly felt bad for Devon. Why would Kara date him if she was gay? Did he know, or was he just being used?

“Then he got all mad at me and called me some pretty shitty.. but accurate names. After I started crying he felt all bad and apologised to me,” She continued.

I ignored the ‘but accurate’ part. Connor could really be a dick sometimes, and I bet that she was just beating herself up over it, and taking it way too personally. When Connor gets angry, he lashes out at just about anyone.

“So what does that have to do with Connor’s dad?” I asked.

“Well I was getting there,” She responded. “My makeup was all over my face, so Connor took me into the bathroom and.. helped me wash it off. We heard his dad come home, and then he came into the bathroom, pushed Connor around, and then started touching me. He was totally drunk, and it was actually really scary.”

She was crying now. It wasn’t hysterical, but there were definitely tears.

I felt a sudden urge to hug her, but I didn’t. What she just described was basically my entire childhood. Tears, dad coming home late, hitting, drunk, touching.