Chapter 7

***Ronnie's POV***

I walked outside and the cold air nipped at my cheeks. I looked to the side and feel his hand wrapped around my waist, filling me with warmth. I hoped he never lets me go. He suddenly stopped walking and turned me towards him, tilting my head so I would look into his eyes. Those perfect green eyes..

“Veronica?” I looked up, startled.

“Veronica, honey, are you okay?” Ms. Atkin asked me in a worried tone.

What was going on?

“Finally. Come on, we need to get this finished,” Lauren said from across the room.

Oh, right! I came here to work on the project with Lauren after school. I guess i must have dozed off a bit..

“Well are you going to help out, or not?” Lauren glared at me.

This was going to be a long day if all she was going to do was snap at me.

“Yeah, i’m sorry Lau, I just don’t feel too good,” I replied.

She grabbed a piece of paper and a pair of scissors from the table, and started cutting vigorously.

“Don’t call me Lau. Only my friends call me that,” She snapped at me.

She put the scissors down and got up to throw the excess paper in the trash can.

Ms. Atkin told us that she was going to grade some scantron sheets in the teacher’s planning room. I think that maybe she just wanted to give us some privacy, and I applaud her for that.

“Last time I checked, I was your best friend,” I retorted.

“Really? Because I thought that Connor was your best friend. What happened to that?” She asked, finally looking at me.

I took a step towards her, and she instantly backed away, I moved our poster so that I could see it better while I calmed myself down.

“Look Lau, I don’t understand why you are so hung up on Connor and I. But we need to get this project done. So can’t we at least be civil to each other? And maybe get some work done? Why are you even mad at me anyway?” Words just kept spilling out of my mouth.

Lauren looked down and rolled a glue stick around in her hands.

“I’m just jealous of how much Connor likes you. I mean it’s obvious that he does, have you seen the way he looks at you? Pretty much every girl in this school likes him, i mean he’s Connor Franta for goodness sake. And the one girl that he actually likes is scared of getting close to him. How convenient is that?” She asked.

This was a really touchy subject for me, and Lauren knew it. I couldn’t believe that she was freaking out about it so much.

“Lauren, you know why I am scared to get close to him. I mean I want to, but you know I can’t. Not after..” I trailed off.

“I know,” She tilted her head up from the project to look at me. “I know you can’t. I shouldn’t overreact over something so stupid! I mean he’s just a boy, right?” She was trying to convince herself of the fact.

I grinned at her. Now that was the Lau I was looking for.

Ms. Atkin walked back into the classroom at just the right time. It made me wonder if she was listening through the door..

“Well girls, I have to get going, so you should probably start cleaning up,” She said as soon as she walked in the door.

“Hey Lau, do you just want to finish this up at my house? I can ask Timothy if you can stay over,” I asked, hoping that she would want to.