Chapter 4

***Ronnie's POV***

The walk home with Connor was kind of awkward and silent. I didn’t know what to say to him.

I was so embarrassed about what happened earlier, him seeing me in a puddle of my own tears. I thought for sure that I would be safe in the bathroom, of all places.

I needed to talk to him about the secret I had been keeping from him. The only people who knew were Timothy, and my other siblings, Jacob and Hannah.

Lauren didn’t even know, thank God for that. She was changing a lot lately, and I didn’t really like it. She used to always be there for me, but I feel like she has been slipping away recently.

I know for sure that she has made a few new friends, and that has brought on a different attitude for her.

When Connor and I made it to his backyard, he looked at me and smiled. I knew we were thinking the same thing.

Instantly, we both bolted the the largest tree either of us had ever seen.

When we were little, we nicknamed the tree “Oakey,” because it was an oak tree. We always used to have races to see who could climb the tree the fastest each day, and Connor almost always won.

Now, we still liked to climb the tree because it was a quiet place to be. At the very top, the branches were woven together so that a few people could sit on them. But Connor and I never brought anyone else up here, it was our place.

If we made it all the way up there, than it was a good escape from the madhouse below. But sometimes the climb would be interrupted by one of Connor’s many siblings.

When I was about ten feet up, I heard someone come out the back door. I turned to see who it was, and I lost my grip on the branch I was holding on to.

Connor quickly moved to catch my hand, and then pulled me up to the branch he was sitting on, his hand still in mine.

“Ooo!” I looked below to see a squealing Brian, one of Connor’s seven-year-old brothers.

Great.

“Connor and Ronnie sitiin’ in a tree,” He sang. “K-I-S-S-I-N-G!”

“No we’re not!” I screamed down at him, hoping to scare him away.

“Or are we?” Connor whispered into my ear so only I could hear.

His words sent shivers down my spine and I instantly regretted coming here. I looked down at my hand that was still in the firm grasp of Connor’s and tried to pull it away, but he wouldn’t budge.

I stared at him for what felt like forever.

“Brian, go help mom with dinner,” Connor finally spoke up, looking down at his brother.

Now it was just me and Connor, alone.

In a tree.

Holding hands.

Crap,

I once again tried to pull my hand away from his, but he held on, and pulled me closer.

Was he really going to try this again?

“Connor, I came here to talk,” I blurted out.

Our bodies were inches apart, and I felt frozen. I was so nervous about telling him this already, but he was making it even worse.

“So let’s talk,” He whispered, allowing me to smell his minty breath.

“I’m serious,” He was not going to win that easily. “I really need to tell you something.”