Chapter 22

***Ronnie's POV***

Sunday morning was probably the most awkward thing ever.

I had to eat breakfast with Jc, and I kept saying all the wrong things.

I was glad that I got a chance to talk to Kara, but I wished that I had never come there. I was very confused about my feelings at the moment, and I didn't need to add Jc to the mess.

I couldn't think of any way that my day could get worse.

A Monday is always bad, but today I didn't have anything good to think of to cheer me up . Usually I would think about seeing Connor, but even that brings more stress to me.

Why would he ever choose Jennifer? I thought that we had something special.

I walked out of my Guitar 3 class very confused about everything.

I spent the entire class thinking through my situation, and we were supposed to be practicing for a test this week. I couldn't get a bad grade in such an easy class, so I promised myself that I would practice after school.

Maybe I could even get Jc to help me.. no. No, I couldn't do that.

Looking down the hallway, I thought about where I should go for lunch.

I could go with Jc, but I didn't want to make our situation any more awkward than it already was.

I saw a flash of blonde hair a few doors down, and quickened my pace until I caught up to it.

"Hey, Lauren, how are you?" I asked.

It took her a moment to turn around and realize that it was me talking to her.

"Oh, Veronica. What are you doing, silly? I have to leave for lunch before all the teachers get out," She said with a smile.

"Could you not just take a moment to talk to me? It's been weeks and the best you can do is ditch me for your douche of a boyfriend?" I responded.

I was trying to stay calm, but after everything that had been happening lately, it was hard to contain my anger.

"Excuse me? Don't talk about Ross like that. And I'm sorry if it's a problem that I want to hang out with my boyfriend a little. Just go find Connor, he always makes everything better, doesn't he?" She said in a mocking tone.

I can't believe that this girl used to be my best friend. She changed so much in such a short period of time.

"Ronnie!" I heard a voice call from down the hallway.

Not now, don't come now.

"I can't believe who you've become, Lauren," I tried to stay strong as I turned around to look at Jc standing behind me.

"What's going on?" He asked, looking worried.

He then turned to Lauren and his face hardened, "Who are you?"

"I'd ask you the same question, but I have better things to do with my time," She said and waved with a fake smile.

Jc started to walk after her, but I grabbed his arm to stop him.

"Come on, let's just go," I said, begging the tears not to fall.

We walked down the trail to the lake and sat down on the hard ground, waiting for the others to arrive. It was even colder outside than the last week, so when Jc offered his jacket, I accepted after some hesitation.

It's not like I was saying yes to marriage, I was just borrowing his jacket.

The familiar blue jeep pulled up to the lake, and Kara, Grace, and Devon came out.