Chapter 24: Transient

Anna

I woke up because of the smell of something really good to eat. When I opened my eyes, I am still in my hospital room. But the thing that caught my eyes are the beautiful arrangement of flowers in front of me. They were colorful flowers which made me smile.

I remembered him. This was the same arrangement of flowers that he usually brings me when he was still courting me back in our college years, except that it’s grander now, with a cute basket and a nice pink ribbon. How can I forget when these flowers were everyday on my sight before?

I smiled involuntarily. Those were happy and beautiful days.

My reminiscing was cut off when I felt my heart clinched. The person that usually gives me these flowers is the same person who just broke my heart and left me hanging.

“You can’t trust him again. He’ll just leave you there to face the horrible stuff alone,” my mind told me.

My heart wanted to say something to rebut my mind but I stopped her. “Don’t be stupid again,” I told my heart.

“Your smile brightened the gloomy day but when you took it off, the day went back to its dark sate,” someone said from the kitchen. I definitely know that voice.

Jeric went out of the kitchen with a bowl of something.

I looked away and focused my attention to the window. It’s raining outside.

“I have hot soup for you in this cold day. Mom made it,” he said and laid the bowl on the movable table and sat on the stool beside my bed. “Come closer, I’ll help you eat.”

“Jeric, we agreed that you’re not coming here anymore,” I said to him straight to the point.

He froze at what I said. I know I’ve hurt him. But the thing that I don’t want to admit is that I also hurt myself for saying that. Stupid heart.

Jeric just shrugged what I said and smiled as if I said nothing hurtful. “Nope, we didn’t agree on something. It was only you. I’m staying here whether you like it or not,” he insisted.

“No,” I said firmly. “I don’t want you here.”

His eyes saddened but again, he tried to shrug it off and smiled again. “Have you seen Jenna? They said you haven’t so I decided not to see her. I want to see her the same time as you do. Mom said she was beautiful even though she’s still in the incubator,” he said completely ignoring me.

“If you’re not going, I’m going!” I stubbornly told him. He continued to smile that hurt me.

“Baby, kumain ka na. Here I’ll help you” he said and sat on the stool with the bowl of excruciatingly good-smelling soup.

“I will eat if you’ll leave me alone,” I told him.