Chapter 7: Arrangements

Jeric

Tita Belle looked at Tito Alberto like she’s telling him bad news. And I swear I saw Tito Alberto’s face turned to red then to purple. Tita Belle held his hand and suddenly his face went back to normal.

I also noticed he was clenching his fist.

“She’s positive.” Tita Belle said.

What? Positive to what? Does Anna have some kind of a disease? I pang worry flowed into me and immediately looked at her and held her hand. She went back to sleep while her Mom was running tests with her.

“Jeric.” I froze when I heard Tito Alberto called. Why did I felt scared when he called me.

“P-po?” I turned to him.

“I trusted you. And yet this is how you repay us? We treated you with kindness. We accepted you into the family with open arms and this is what you give to us?” Tito said.

I am officially confused.

“Jeric, Anna’s pregnant.”

What?! Pregnant? A baby inside her? But… but we did it only once. My brain cannot process what Tita Belle said.

“We’re presuming it’s yours since you’re the only guy Anna has been with. If I’m right, she’s 4 weeks on the way.” Tita Belle calmly said.

Four weeks? That was around the time when we’re in Davao. Shit! We did it once!

“Alberto!” I heard Tita Belle shout. When I looked at their direction, Tito Alberto is positioned to grab me.

He didn’t let his wife stop him. He went to me and grabbed the collar of my shirt. “I need to hear it from you. Did you do it? Or not?” His voice and his eyes were so terrifying.

Anna stirred from her sleep and opened her eyes slowly. She looked confused with what’s happening around her.

“Dad?!” She asked and immediately sat up straight from the bed. Her Mom went to her side.

“Jeric did you do it or not?” Tito Alberto asked once more, this time more forceful.

“What did Jeric do Dad? Let him go” Anna said from the side. Her Mom is holding her in place.

Her dad ignored her and tightened the grip on my shirt urging me to answer his question.

I looked at Anna on the bed first who was already crying while holding on to her Mom. Then I turned to her father.

All I was able to do was nod. The next thing I felt was a fist on my jaw. I didn’t mind the pain because I was numb. All I can think is what I did to Anna. That was impulsive and reckless. How could I do this to her?

“Alberto! Hindi yan ang solution sa problema natin.” Tita Belle.

“Dad?! Stop!” I felt Anna beside me. “What’s your problem?” she asked then touched my face where her dad hit me.

“I’m sorry Anna. I didn’t mean this to happen,” I said to her and touched her face.

“What’s not meant to happen Jec?” She asked.

“Honey, come here.” Her Mom said. Anna shook her head and stayed beside me.

“Tell me what’s happening Mom?” Anna demanded.

Tita looked at her husband first but Tito Alberto only looked down and heaved out a heavy sigh. He held his temples and walked back and forth.

“Mom?!” Anna demanded again, more forcefully.