Chapter Twenty Eight

-Why do you speak backwards?"-

Wayne Manor, Gotham City, USA

"The ceremony won't talk long, but Jade, you have to be quick. Get in, grab the girls, and get out," Zatara explained, his accent thick in the cool night air.

"Can we hurry up, I'm getting cold," Jason complained in the background, huddling close with Cassandra and Stephanie. Barbara, Dick, and Tim were in their own huddle, Isis cling to a gigantic Thoth. Damian took the nearly freezing temperatures just fine, and so did Duke, Harper, and Bruce. The ones with magic seemed to be perfectly fine.

"I wish I could go with you," Raven whispered.

Jade looked behind her to face the worried eyes of the woman. "Ray, four people have to complete the circle, and they are my sisters."

"Doesn't change the fact I want to go with," she sighed.

Open the portal into the other side so we may save those desperate lives.

"We will all enchant 'sevil etatepsed esoht evas yam ew os edis rehto eht otni latrop eht nepo!' Understood?" Zatara asked.

"Fine, I'll play by the rules, this time," Klarion growled. "For Tsukiko."

"Why do you speak backwards?" Isis questioned.

Jade looked around and saw Damian. With a soft smile she quickly walked out of the circle and wrapped her arms around him. "I love you," she whispered to him, hiding her face him his neck as they hugged.

"You're really warm," Damian mumbled and he held her in his arms. Around him the Bat Family cooed with awes and oohs.

She took a few more minutes in his arms, her eyelashes fluttering on his skin. He shifted a bit, notifying her that it either tickled or was uncomfortable. She pulled away but softly placed her lips on his cheek before running back to the circle.

"Hey," he shouted as she ran away from him. Something inside him told him it was about to go wrong, something wasn't right. This whole ordeal wasn't right. "Jade, are you sure about this?"

"Even if I wasn't, we already have Klarion here and he would kill us for this," Jade laughed.

"It's true, I would," he commented, petting Teekl's head.

"Don't you have a bad feeling?"

"Yeah, it's called nerves." She giggled and looked up at the sky, holding one of her hands up. "It's time," she announced.

So much could go wrong, and Damian knew it. If it was a trap, something horrible could happen. They went through many tests to see if Jade was lying, but she truly believed she was saving her sisters. It still didn't feel right.

It could just be that Damian was afraid of her getting hurt, he never worried about that with Colin. He also feared that if somehow something went wrong he would have to explain to the school where she went.

What about the play? It was a childish though, but it was a concern. Him and Jade were casted as the lead lovers. If she was gone would they recast? He didn't want to kiss anyone else, play or not. He didn't want to love anyone else, but why?

She wasn't anything special. Female, yes. She was taller than him by an inch and a quarter, and she wouldn't let him forget it. Her brown hair and brown eyes seemed so common, but in a home filled with blue eyes it was a nice change. She spoke in soft tones, even once comforting him when he had a nightmare.

Jade had nightmares too. Ones that made her cry so loudly it woke the whole manor. Damian felt guilt when he walked into her room to see Stephanie and Dick already rubbing her back, letting her confess to them. When he entered the room she looked up and reached form him, but he didn't walk to her, he just stayed by the door.

So what if he wasn't the best at being kind to her but she loved him anyways, for some reason she loved him. He loved her to. When she would wake him up after he had a nightmare. Or when they would play video games together. Pulling pranks on their friends at school. A secret that-

"Jade," he shouted as the ceremony began. "The mirror. Don't forget the mirror."

Her eyes grew with realization. "Stop, stop," she screamed but the four wicken did not stop their enchantment. They continued. "There is a better way, please stop!"

The portal opened and before she could get to them it pulled her in.

"Jade," he whispered. Then he saw a hand reach out, but it wasn't right. The fingers were too long, the nails pointed like claws. It couldn't be right.

"Demonic," Zatanna hissed. It pulled itself out, a loud roar echoing in the air. Thoth flew up into the air, blowing a large ball of flames to the demon.

The creature hissed when the dragon's flames reached its skin. "Feel that you bastard? Those are the holy flames of Egypt," Isis yelled as she held onto Thoth's scales.

"We have to close the portal," Zatara yelled.

"No," Klarion screamed, his demon form appearing. "No, we keep it open."

"Silence, Lord of Chaos," Zatanna hissed.

"You may be heroes, but not even I would abandon a poor girl in that hell-hole," Klarion cried. "Please, don't trap her."

Close the portal

"I'm sorry," Zatara sighed. "Latrop eht esolc!"

Damian watched in horror as the only escape for Jade slipped through their hands. He felt arms around him, not even noticing that he had been running to the circle, screaming out her name like some sort of nightmare.

A nightmare.

Please let this be a nightmare.

(Ok but do you guys actually want a second book?)