Chapter Eighteen

-Friends come and go. Get over it-

Gotham Academy, Gotham City, United States of America

Two months later

"Another math test," Isis groaned as she slumped back into her seat. "It's not even December and we are struggling with this."

"I hate school so much," Maps groaned, resting her head on Jade's shoulder. "It makes me want to die."

"Same," Jade dryly laughed. "I hate this place."

"It's not that bad is it?" Maps asked, looking up.

Jade sighed happily. "It's not that bad, as long as you are here."

"Ew," Isis laughed. "Get a room."

"This is our room," Maps exclaimed, laughing. She sat up and grabbed on of Jade's pillows, tossing it across the room at Isis.

Isis laughed as her golden dragon, Thoth, come out of resting form of a tattoo on her wrist and hand. He hissed at Maps before stomping around in circles on Isis's lap. The girls all awed and cooed, adoring the lizard-bird hybrid.

A small knock on the door alerted the three girls and the dragon. The door opened by itself to show a young woman with purple hair and a black sweatshirt.

"Raven!" Jade exclaimed, jumping up from the bed, knocking Maps backwards as she ran to the woman.

The two sisters smiled and hugged each other.

"My, it's been three months," Raven stated. "Well two months and a week."

"Still far too long," Jade sighed as she guided her sister to a chair. Then she shut the blinds and lit a few candles for light. "I missed you."

"I did as well," Raven replied as she sat down. "You must be Maps."

"I am," Maps confirmed. She smiled and held her hand out, Raven taking it so they could have a proper greeting. "You must be Jade's big sister, Rachel, but nicknamed Raven."

"Yes. Rachel Roth, but call me Raven."

"Cool. I like your style," Maps grinned.

The group spoke for a while, getting to know one another. Maps spoke briefly about Olive and her older brother Kyle. Raven mentioned Garfield and laughed casually when Isis started talking about her annoying neighbor Wally.

"Christmas," Raven said as the two left the room, going for a private walk. "Do you want to spend the holidays with Garfield and I? I mean, I'm Atheist, but Garfield believes in Jesus and stuff."

"Why not," Jade shrugged. "I have nothing better to do."

"Not going to the Waynes'?"

"Damian and I are no longer speaking."

Raven rolled her eyes and crossed her arms. "Jade, Damian told me what happened. You are at fault."

"No I'm not," Jade screamed, glad they had walked to the stream.

Raven stopped walking. "Jade you hold such strong energy, it effects you emotionally. I can tell you hold no love for the girl in that dorm. You love someone else."

"No I don't. I don't love him. Even if I did he wouldn't love me."

The older girl sighed and sat down looking at the water. "'You do not choose who your heart loves.'"

"Well, to me love is just an illusion created by the desire to have human contact."

"We aren't human," Raven reminded her. "Even a demon like me can find love."

Jade closed her eyes. "I can't find the words."

"Just say sorry."

"Sorry isn't good enough! Sorry is dry and fake. Words betray me but actions are the truth. Someone who loves someone just from words is blind, but if the love is created by actions it is real."

"Listen to yourself, rambling," Raven mocked. "You don't even know how you feel."

"My mind is going faster than my mouth can move and it mixed like a blender, all thoughts being destroyed and created in seconds," Jade screamed.

Raven closes her eyes. "Friends come and go. Get over it. Find Damian and say sorry in your own way. It's what you have to do to not loose control like they did."

There was a pause. The only sound was the rustle of dead leaves flying past and the stream trying to continue flowing before it froze.

"You see them too?" Jade asked.

"Tsukiko Works and Adana Jefferson. Otherwise known as Moon Child and Rain," Raven informed her.

The two sat in silence for a while longer until Jade said, "we have to save them."

"We can't."

Jade sighed, looking up at the sky until her phone buzzed. She looked down to read a text from an unknown number.

Unknown:
Need help. That guy Excalibur
and the lava girl is attacking.

Jade stood up. "I have to go."

Raven followed her actions. "I'll come with."