Chapter Twenty

(Casual reminder I only planned on this being like 15 chapters. Also, again, talks about race and there is harassment. I don't know why but I always get nervous when I have something like that in my books.)

-At least I'm not stuck in the eighteen hundreds thinking white supremacy still is politically correct.-

Gotham City

Damian thought back to the short and irrational kiss he had just shared with Jade and his mind was made. He was no longer going to fight for what wasn't there. He picked up his phone and dialed Colin. "Meet me in the alley."

Colin stood in Crime Alley, he wore his Abuse costume of a rain coat and the strange hat. Damian wore a black sweatshirt and sweats.

"So this isn't a mission?" Colin asked with a grin. "And that means-"

"No. Colin, this isn't what you think," Damian sighed, stepping back when Colin came closer. "You know we have been distant."

"So let's change that, Damian. Let's go out more," Colin exclaimed. "Let's work on us. I'm not ready to give up."

"I am," Damian informed him. "I've been trying so hard for so long. Six months, Colin, six months. It's been six months since I've felt something with you."

"Two years. You are throwing away two years of us!"

"I'm not throwing it away," Damian pushed. "I'm closing the book. Ending the chapter. It's life."

"Why are you doing this? Is it Jon? I always knew that farm boy would take you," Colin cried.

"It's not Jon. It's me, okay. I'm tired of us messing up and then trying to fix it but failing."

"I'll fix myself, okay?" Colin asked.

Damian rolled his eyes. "It's over, Colin."

Colin seemed to loose all emotion. "Ya, okay."

• • •

Jade didn't know what to do. She was sitting at lunch stuck between Maps and Damian. She still hadn't told Maps she didn't want to be with her any longer, and she was afraid to. She didn't know how Maps would react.

"It's fine," Damain answered when she confessed her issue. "I still need time. Just give me time."

She understood and carefully took his hand. He flinched a bit but he didn't pull away. Instead he focused on the stream.

"This is where I first felt an emotion, a strong emotion, towards you," Jade confessed. "That why I ran that night."

Damian nodded his head. "I felt these emotions I couldn't explain either. I thought it was your feelings pushing into me, but then I noticed that a part of me did know these emotions. I did have the feelings."

Jade smiled to herself and looked at him. "I said I loved you. I don't know if it as strong as love though, but it is there."

"I feel the same," Damian huffed. He looked back at her, his face serious. "But I just need time."

"I know," Jade replied. "So, friends?"