chapter 29

Chapter 29

I just sat there while my mother hugged me tightly. I was a little apprehensive to hug her back. What was she doing here? I thought she didn't want anything to do with me because I was with Dean. I wiggled free from her hold. I needed answers from her.

"Mom," was all I said.

I didn't smile or returned her warm embrace. I have to admit that it felt good for my mother to hug me, but I will not let her know that. At least not yet.

"Baby girl," my dad said as he came over and planted a fatherly kiss on my forehead. I beamed up at him. I love my dad so much. I was truly happy to see him.

"Hey daddy. I am glad to see you." I said

"How are you feeling sweetie?" my mother asked.

I didn't want to give her a response. I was still mad at her for not being here for me. I looked over at Dean. He gave me a smile that encouraged me to speak.

"I am fine mom, thank you," I said coldly.

My mother looked at me with such hurt and sadness in her eyes. I wanted to reach out to her. But she needed to know that I was still angry with her.

"Nikki, we are so sorry about the baby. But we are thankful you are all right," my dad said.

"Thank you dad," I whispered. It still pains me to know that I will not be having a baby.

My dad told me that Tracy called them and told them that I was pushed down the stairs by Dean's ex-fiancé. Dean told him that he called the police last night while I was sleep. The detective should be by later today. We continued talking with my dad. My just sat in silence, watching us.

"Marcus, Dean, Nicole and I need to talk. Do you guys mind giving us a little while to talk?" my mother asked.

"Sure," they spoke in unison.

My dad squeezed my hand, and headed for the door. Dean came over to the bed and gave me a kiss. I began to panic as I realized I will be left alone with my mother. I needed Dean here. I don't know how this conversation is going to go with my mother.

"Don't leave me," I whispered in Dean's ear.

"You will be fine. You two need to talk." he kissed me and headed out the door with my dad.

Moments went by without us saying a word. What was is that she wanted to talk about? Was she going to apologize for how she treated me and Dean? Was she going to give me more hell for staying with Dean? Maybe she wanted to tell me how stupid I was for getting pregnant. I sat and waited for her to speak.

"Nikki, sweetie, I am so sorry for how I treated you and Dean. You needed me and I wasn't there for you. I treated you as if you were wrong for wanting to be with Dean. I treated you as if you weren't my daughter," she whispered. Tears started rolling down her cheeks.

"I am so sorry that you lost you baby. I am sure you and Dean would have been great parents to the baby. But you still have time in the future to have more."

"Thank you," I said. I felt myself wanting to cry.

"I wanted to tell you why I was so against you dating Dean," she said as she straightened up her shoulders.

Oh God. Was I ready for this? I just nodded for her to continue. She took a deep breath and began.

"I was sixteen. I had just left my friend Camille's house. It was so hot outside. I decided to stop by the local grocery on my way home. It was only ten minutes from my house, and only 3 blocks from Camille's house. I just wanted to grab a soda."

"I was walking along by myself when a pick up truck pulled up next to me. I looked over to see about 4 white men in the truck. They asked me where I was going. I kept walking. One of the called me a nigger and yelled for me to stop. I began to walk faster. Then one of the jumped out of the truck in front of me.

"Are you dumb nigger? We are talking to you" he growled in my face.

The rest of them jumped out of the truck and before I knew it, they were all around me"

I sat in horror as my mother paused from telling her story. She was reliving this dreadful day again. I could tell by her eyes. They were stricken with fear. I reached for her hand as she continued.

"I begged for them to let me go. But they didn't hear me, or at least they didn't want to. They began pulling at my dress. Groping my breast, calling me all kinds of names. They were saying hurtful and nasty things to me. One of them began putting their hands up my dress."

"I slapped him hard. He turned and looked at me. There was so much anger in his eyes. He slapped me with the back of his hand yelling at me that I was going to pay for what I did to his face. I tried to run, but before I could they snatched me up and threw me in the truck. I tried to kick. I tried to scream. But they had my arms and legs, and one of them had their hands over my mouth."

"I was so scared, so scared. I didn't know what they were going to do to me. They took me to an abandon house........ They ripped off my clothes" my mother began to shake.

She began to sob. I tried to stop her from finishing the story. My heart ached for her. I began to cry. She didn't need to finish the story, because I already knew the ending. My poor mother.

"They couldn't understand why I was bleeding so badly while they raped me over and over again. I was a virgin. They took my innocence from me. My body couldn't take anymore. I slowly started to lose consciousness. When I came to, I was in the hospital with my parents sitting beside my hospital bed. The doctor said they raped me so bad, there was a possibility that I would never have children." she cried as she looked up at me.

I gasp. My mother was a virgin. She was raped by four white men because she was protecting herself. They did so much damage to her mentally and physically. I lifted my hand and wiped the tears from her eyes.

"We tried so long to have a baby. I prayed and prayed that God would bless me with a child. Your father didn't understand why we couldn't get pregnant. I have never told him that I was raped. I didn't want him to think that I wasn't enough because I could not give him children. But your father and I were blessed. We became pregnant with you." she said as she held me in her arms.

I cried uncontrollably. I cried for my mother, I cried for my baby, I cried for me and Dean. We lost our baby. I am still healthy. I can have more children. My mother was robbed of her innocence. If it wasn't for God blessing her, she may never have had any children.

"I know I was wrong for how I treated Dean. When I saw him, it reminded me of when I was sixteen, walking home from a friend's house."

"I am truly sorry for how I treated the both of you. He and I had a little time to talk while we waited for you to wake up. He accepted my apology, although he didn't have too. He is a bright young man. And he truly loves you Nicole. I am happy that you have him in your life. He is going to make a wonderful husband." she said as she smiled as she said the word husband. Was there something she was not telling me?

"I love you momma. I am so sorry that happened to you. I am glad you are here with me." I said as I slowly calmed my crying. There was a knock at the door.

"Are you two done talking yet," Amber poked her head in the room. I was so happy to see her.

"Yes we are. Come in Amber. I want you to meet my mom," I waved her to come into the room.

"Oh sweetie we have already met," Amber said as she kissed my cheek. "I am so glad you two are having mother and daughter time. But now its mother daughter, daughter in law and mother in law time too,"

Amber emphasized the words daughter in law and mother in law. She gave my mother a wink. My mother just laughed. What the hell is going on?

"Alright you two. Out with it," I said as I wiped the rest of my tears away.

"Our lips are sealed sweetie, now lets get you some food," I mother said. Oh I do not like that they are keeping secrets from me.