chapter 15

"You don't have a choice in the matter momma. I want to be with him!" I screamed back. What was going on with her? She was upset that Dean was white. Why couldn't she be happy for me?

"Maybe if you spent time with him, you would see what a good man he is. Please get to know him." I pleaded with my mother.

"I don't want to get to know him. No daughter of my will ever date white trailer trash." she belted out.

Tears were filling my eyes. However, I batted them away, not wanting her to see me cry. She was always able to get under my skin. I couldn't understand why she was being this way. 

"Brenda. What the hell is your problem? The girl is happy. Let her be," my dad yelled at my mom. I have never seen him this upset.

"How can you be ok with this?" my mother asked my dad.

Dean looked over at me. "I think I should go and let you and your parents talk," he whispered in my ear.

My parents were still yelling at each other. I knew they might have a problem with me dating Dean, but I never knew it would be like this.

"You can't leave. I need you here with me." the words were true. I needed him here to be by my side while I try to explain him to my mom. I couldn't do this without him.

"Baby you need some time with your parents. Right now, I am getting in the way of you talking things over with them. I am the problem here."

"You are not the problem Dean. I don't know if I can do this without you."

I began to cry. Tears were rolling down my cheeks. I pulled myself closer to him. Laying my face in his chest. I found such comfort there. Being in his arms drowned out the sound of my parents arguing.

"He is right. You need to talk with your parents. I am here if you need me." I heard Tracy's voice behind me. She was rubbing my back. Soothing my sobs.

"Ok," I whispered. I didn't want him to go, but I knew it was necessary.

"I will call you tonight my love. Be strong." Dean kissed me on the lips. He started heading for the front door.

"ARE YOU HAPPY NOW MOTHER? HE IS LEAVING!" I screamed at her.

"GOOD. GET THE HELL OUT. AND DON'T BRING YOU ASS BACK HERE." she yelled at Dean.

"I promise you Brenda If you don't calm your ass down, I will take you back home," my dad said quietly to my mother. His voice was menacing. I knew that he meant every word that came out of his mouth.

"Dean buddy I am sorry for my wife's behavior. However, I think it best that you leave so we can talk to our daughter. Again I am truly sorry." he gave my mother a fiery gaze. She just stormed off to the kitchen.

"It's ok sir. I completely understand. Nicole I will call you later." Dean said as he gave me an encouraging smile. He turned and walked out of the door. I tried to run after him, but Tracy held fast to my arm.

"Let him go. You will see him later. I promise." she said as she pulled me to her side.

I was so furious with my mom right now. I can't believe she acted this way. I knew she might be upset, but I didn't think she would completely embarrass me and treat Dean like shit. My birthday was turning out to be a complete disaster. The look on Dean's face when she was unleashing her anger nearly broke my heart. I had to figure out why she reacted so strongly. Nevertheless, what would I say?

"Are you ok baby girl?" my dad asked as he wrapped his arms around me.

"I don't know daddy. Why was momma so mean to Dean? I knew you guys might have a problem with me dating a white man, but I never knew it would be like this."