Chapter 5

When I wake up I'm on the couch, and covered with a blanket I hadn't been covered with when I had fallen asleep.

I sit up to find Christian on the other end of the couch watching the news. He looks at me, "You get enough sleep?"

I shrug, "More than usual. I'm kind of an insomniac," I pause and look around, "Where's Avery?"

He shrugs, "In bed." I frown and he smiles at my reaction, "You fell asleep down here, I tried carrying you up but you whined about it. And Avery said you'd be cranky if I woke you up because you never sleep."

I bite my lip and shrug sheepishly, "That's true."

He bites his lip, "You were right about the hotel. There were cameras everywhere. He probably even has our interview on video."

I gulp, "The recording is already on my laptop."

He shrugs, "He had it already, it doesn't matter."

I bite my lip, "I have an idea."

He mutes the television and turns to me, "About what?"

I gulp, "Harwell."

His gaze hardens, "I don't want you going near him."

I shake my head, "But my friend lives right across the hall from him. I can go over there and get into his wifi and delete everything."

He presses his lips together and says, "It's too dangerous Emerson."

I bite my lip, "You know you can't stop me from doing it. I want my laptop back, and I want those videos to disappear just as much as you do."

He clenches his jaw, "I'll get rid of the videos, but there is no way you could get your laptop back unless you went in there and it's under lock and key and you'd get yourself killed."

I press my lips together, "I've been in there before."

His eyes widen, "What? How? I thought you said-"

I shake my head, "I said he'd never been in my place. I never said I hadn't been in his. We met in a bar one night, I didn't even realize it was him, but I know how to get in. He never locks the door on his balconey, and if I go over to Channings I can delete everything and get in and get my laptop."

He shakes his head, "No way in hell Emerson."

I press my lips together, "Then how are you going to delete all those videos?"

He clenches his jaw, "I have people to do it."

"I'm getting my laptop back," I say.

He sighs and runs his hands through his hair before leaning forward, "You're going to go in no matter what I say aren't you?"

I nod, "Pretty much."

He bites his lip, "Then I'm going with you."

When I show up at Channing's work with Christian in tow he gives me a sour look, "Em, what your up to?"

I bite my lip, "It's better that you don't know. But I need gloves, and something to open a safe with."

He eyes me, "Em if you're going into-"

"Don't say it," I snap.

His face softens, "Em I don't want anything to happen to you."

I press my lips together, "If you let me do this nothing will happen to me."

He looks at me warily and I say, "You love me like a sister right?"

His eyes widen, "Of course."