Chapter 2

I've been at work for an hour when Grace walks out of her office, hair slightly ruffled, "Oh Emerson I didn't know you were here."
I give her a tight smile, "I figured that out. You have messages."
She nods and Christian walks out of her office, he freezes for a moment when he sees me, but quickly covers it up, "Have Miss. Sinclair bring up those papers within the next hour. I want them on my desk warm."

She nods and he walks past me to the elevator.

Grace presses her lips together, "I hope you know better than to mention this to anyone."
I nod, "My lips are sealed."
She gives me a stiff smile before heading back into her office.

A half hour later she calls me into her office.

"Make four copies of this. One for the client, one for your files, one for my files, and one for Mr. Clark's secretary. Give Mr. Clark the hard copy."
"Yes Miss. Rayson."

After waiting for the copy machine and actually copying all of the papers I head back to my desk to staple them together. I leave three on my desk and I'm about to head upstairs when my phone rings.

I frown when I notice Christian's extension, "Hello?"
Miss. Sinclair I would like to see you in my office. Now.
I don't let him hear me gulp, "I'm on my way up."

He disconnects and I head for the elevator.

I stop at his assistants desk and give her the contract for her files. She smiles and then frowns when Mr. Clark's door swings office, his eyes settle on me, "Now."
She gives me a worried look as he turns his back and walks into his office.

When I enter I close the door and he's pacing back and forth, I set the contract on his desk, "What's that?"
"The contract you supposedly wanted on your desk within the hour," I glance at the clock on the wall, "with five minutes too spare."
His eyes flash with amusement before he says, "Sit down Miss. Sinclair."

I take a seat and he walks behind his desk, "You freelance correct?"
I look up at him surprised, "Well yes, I have a small blog."
He nods and laces his fingers together resting his chin on the top of them, "Do you ever write anonymously for Vocal or any of it's sister blogs?"
I part my lips and look at him curiously, "Sometimes, why do you ask?"

He leans back and turns the computer screen around, the page open to an article about secret dealings between Christian Clark and William Harwell, the headline read, Not with a Fizzle, But with a Bang.

"Have you seen this article yet today Miss. Sinclair?"
I shake my head, "No."
He scrolls down the page with a swipe of his finger, "Do you see this picture?"
I look at the picture, it was him at Amour with William Harwell, "Yes."

He stands up and walks around the desk, "I need to know if you wrote that article Emerson. Did you write that article?"
I shake my head, "No. I haven't freelanced for that blog in months."

He presses his lips together in a hard line and looks away for several long moments, "I'm going to have to check your computer Emerson."
My eyes widen, "Why? I didn't do it!"
He looks down at me as he leans on his desk and crosses his arms, "I can't just believe you. The way you talked to William Harwell makes me think you know him more than just an acquaintance. Plus you were at Amour."

I shake my head, "No I was not."
He rolls his eyes, "I saw you Emerson. You weren't wearing that grey dress you had on for the interview. You said so yourself the interview saved you from clubbing with your best friend. You told Harwell that you had been home all evening before the interview. That was a lie."
I shake my head, "No it wasn't. I went home, I was home alone before I got the call."

He shakes his head, "No you weren't Miss. Sinclair. You were at Amour. I saw you across the room. You ran out of there as soon as you saw who I was with. I watched you walk out that door with you friend in your purple and black lace dress."