Chapter 20

"Alright you ready for this?" Ratchet asked as he was about to put Nichole under, so he could begin surgery. "Yes, Ratchet for the hundredth time." She rolled her eyes. Which he gladly rolled back then put the mask over her, making her fall asleep quick. Diesel and Sunstreaker stood by outside the operating room. Sunstreaker pacing back and forth. "Your gonna put a hole in the floor if you keep pacing like that." Diesel stated, watching the impatient mech pace. "I'm just worried." "I know you are. This is your first time waiting for her like this. I've had to do it dozens of times, but only I had to wait in a motor pool and I couldn't see her tell she recovered enough to come back to work." Sunstreaker paused and gave him a curious look. "How many surgeries has she had?" Diesel looked up, thinking about it. "oh boy, quite a bit. Not just like surgery's though. She's had stitches mostly. Harm used to find her in strange ways. Though, she was the one who always went towards the danger. She was the only one brave enough. Then she would come out in all sorts of cuts, sometimes broken bones or gun shot wounds." Diesel explained. Sunstreaker walked over to him and sat down next to him.

"Gun shot wounds?" He asked cautiously. "I've said to much. Just remember she's a Marine who's seen a lot of combat. So naturally she could have been shot at." He said rubbing the back of his neck, looking away from the younger mech. "What aren't you telling me?" Sunstreaker eyed him down. "I can't tell you. That is something you'll have to ask her. I've said to much." Diesel guard went up. Sunstreaker kept an eye on him but didn't want to get him mad at him. To be with Nichole, he had to stay on Diesel's good side. He was already threatened by her guardian more than once. He needed Nichole and Diesel was the way to keep her. He had to keep them both happy. As much as he wishes he could have Nichole all to himself, he knew she would never allow him to take her away from Diesel.

They sat in silence for some time, until Sunstreaker spoke up again. "Thank you." It came out barely audible. Thanking was something he hated doing, but I needed to say it. "For what?" Diesel wondered, but he had an idea. "For saving her." He never looked at him, but he could feel Diesels eyes on him. "There is no need to thank me. I wouldn't be able to live without her either." Diesel said quietly. Silence fell over them again. Sunstreaker leaned against the wall, staring at the medical bay doors. Checking his internal clock, he realized he would have to leave soon. Something he did not want to do. He wants to wait here for her, be there when she woke up. Even though she won't be really there, because of the drugs, he just needed to see her and make sure she was alright. "Take care of her. I hope to go see her when I get back from patrol." He said as he stood up. "Don't worry. She will be fine. Its not her first rodeo." Diesel said with a smile. Sunstreaker looked at him in confusion. "It's an Earth saying." He explained laughing at the look on his face. Sunstreaker rolled his eyes and began his trek to the hanger.

It had been almost 4 hours since Nichole went into surgery. Diesel was now pulling a Sunstreaker, pacing back and forth, waiting to hear something. Many who have walked past have tried to help comfort him, but it was futile. It wasn't until Ratchet stepped out of the medical bay doors and walked over to him, did he calm down. "How is she, Ratchet?" He said with a worry tone in his voice. "I was able to patch up the fracture, she will be in some pain for some while. Especially when eating. She will only be able to eat liquids for a few weeks. Unfortunately, there were already some damage nerves that I was unable to repair. Nothing too serious, just parts of her cheek will feel numb for the rest of her life." He explained. "So, it was successful?" Diesel honestly could care less what Ratchet did, he just wanted to make sure she was okay. "Yes. She will take a few moments to wake up from the anesthesia, then we will take her to her room. She will need to stay resting for a few weeks." Diesel gave the Doc a curtesy nod and watched him walk back into the med bay. Diesel let out a breath he didn't realize he was holding in, happy that she is okay.

About two weeks have gone by and Nichole is still on bed rest and still unable to chew real food. Sunstreaker stayed with her as much as possible. Diesel doesn't have a holoform, so he was unable to go in and physically see her. At the end of the two-week mark, she was now becoming more aware and restless. The side of her face was still numb from the procedure and made it difficult for her to talk. Sunstreaker put in the back of his mind, that when she is feeling better, to tease her about how she was behaving. Because it was hilarious. "ahhh I wahm 'ooo mmoo omehhing." She attempted to growled. Sunstreaker grabbed her hand, trying to get her to calm down and trying hard not to laugh. "Maybe I can ask Ratchet and see if we can go for a walk?" He suggested. She gave him an angry nod, not directed towards him, but in general. He gave her hand a kiss quick before linking his comm unit to Ratchet.

Ratchet approved a walk around the base, especially since she had been on bedrest. It will be good for her to use her legs. She was so excited she almost fell off the bed. Sunstreaker had to help keep her standing tell she could hold herself up. The drugs Ratchet made her take, made it harder for her to comprehend her surroundings. Her first time standing up and she saw two of everything. It took a few moments for her to get her bearings, but once everything wasn't in double, she practically ran out of the room, Sunstreaker in tow. The first thing she wanted to do was see Diesel. She has been away from him for far too long. Diesel was out in the hanger bay getting some work done with some soldiers. "Nichole!" He yelled when he saw her walking towards him. He got down on a knew and she hugged his digit. "How are you feeling?" He asked her, looking over her stitches. She gave him a thumb up, knowing it would be hard to speak. "Still numb?" Another nod was sent his way. He couldn't help but let out a small chuckle, yeaning him a glare from her.

A few Autobots and soldiers noticed she was out and about as well, specifically Lennox, Epps, and Optimus and Sideswipe. They had only gone to see her a few times, not that she would remember, she was sleeping most of the time they came to visit. "Your looking better." Lennox said the truth, not knowing what to really say. She avoided his gaze and nodded in thanks. "Ratchet says the surgery went very well." Optimus bellowed from above. She looked up at the tall leader, again avoiding the use of words. "Are your vocal cords broken?" Sideswipe snapped. She knew why he did, she wasn't speaking back to an officer. He obviously has yet to hear her speak. "Her voice isn't broken; her face is still numb and its hard for her to speak, dumbaft." Sunstreaker jabbed. Sideswipes angered face loosened but didn't bother to apologize. "What's gotten into you?" Sunstreaker asked his twin. "Nothing." With that Sideswipe walked away. The others stayed to chat with Nichole, even though she wouldn't speak back.

"She needs to go back to bed." Ratchet's strict voice yelled over everyone's. Nichole, Diesel and Sunstreaker had been walking around and talking for a few hours now. Nichole not bothering to really be in the conversation. It was more Diesel and Sunstreaker doing the talking and it was mainly about the Decepticon activity. Nichole gave Ratchet one of her dagger glares. It didn't phase him a bit. "Get her to bed Sunstreaker. I said a walk but not for to long. She still needs her rest." He ordered Sunstreaker. "You heard him." Sunstreaker looked at Nichole. Her arms were crossed, and her face contorted in anger, well only half her face and her eyes. The numbed part stayed neutral. "Nichole, you're still recovering. Go to bed." Diesel ordered. She huffed, and her arms went to her side and she slouched forward. Sunstreaker grabbed her hand and began to pull her back to her barracks room.