nineteen

Harry's POV

"Goodness Eve" I mutter quietly, holding her hair away from her face in a makeshift ponytail as she vomits into the gutter. It's a crisp night, the sky misty and quiet, save for the house full of teens partying and Eve's splutters and coughs tainting the silence. She swats my hands away once I've finished, wiping her mouth with the sleeve of a jersey that is far too big for her, the hem of it falling way down past her shorts and the sleeves dangling past her fists.

A look of exhaustion crosses over her face, "Sorry" she manages to choke out, glazed eyes searching mine.

"For what?"

"Calling you to come get me, throwing up, everything" she mutters. I disregard her statement, she doesn't need to apologize for that, I'm glad she called me.

"Where's your shoe?" I question, cocking my head to her bare foot that's sinking slightly in the dewy grass. She shrugs her shoulders in response.

"Who's jersey is that?" Again, she shrugs her shoulders. I shake my head at her forgetfulness, I know she's drunk but I can't help but smile at the way she's acting.

"In the car" I demand, and she responds instantly, striding towards the Range Rover and curling up against the seat. The drive back home is silent, Eve drifting asleep as we cruise along the streets, light groans eliciting from her throat whenever we hit a bump in the road.

Watching her sleep from the corner of my eye fascinates me, the way her head lulls gently in time with the speed of the car. The way the moonlight streaming in through windshield casts an eerie, light glow on her soft skin. The way her eyelids flutter gently as she's dreaming, and the way she's curled into a ball against the leather seat, all nestled into herself, just begging to be held in someone's arms.

My mind wanders back to the night I first kissed her, how I held her in my arms as we fell asleep on the couch together, her warm figure pressed tightly to mine as she rested her head on my shoulder. I should feel bad about it, ashamed of the way I foolishly acted towards her. What was I thinking? Cornering her like that against the door and kissing her senseless. I remember the adrenaline, feeling it rush through my veins and the only thing I could hear was the pounding of my heart in my ears.

It felt good at the time, it felt right, but we've ended up in a strange place. I don't know how I feel about her anymore, and it scares me to death that I don't know how to control all of this. It's strange, whenever I'm around her I can't help but feel so content, my insides buzz and I'm lost for words and she leaves me breathless, her wit and charm, and just her presence in general, is delightful and refreshing. And when she's not with me, there's just an ache, a small ache that nudges me, that annoys me until the next time I see her.

It's scary, this wasn't supposed to happen, but I just can't keep away from her.

"Eve... Evie, we're home" I gently whisper as I pull into my driveway. She stirs at the sound of my voice, only to mumble something incoherent and nuzzle further into the seat. "C'mon Evie, wake up"

She blinks up at me, eyes hooded and struggling to stay open from the alcohol that's still running through her system. "Are we at Niall's?"

"No Evie, we're at my house" I confirm, her head must still be a little hazy.

"No, no, no I need to go to Niall's" she starts to panic. "All my things are there!"

"Hey, hey, shhh" I try to calm her, reaching my hand over to tuck a few tendrils of her damp hair behind her ear. She pacifies at my touch, her eyes wavering shut as my fingers brush against her flushed skin. "Let's get you inside, okay?"