twenty eight

Eve's POV

Harry's work floor looked the same as every other time I had been here. There were men in sharp suits and women in professional clothes bustling around, a tense and somewhat lavish and mature feeling lingering in the air. I always felt tremendously out of place, a sullen and constant reminder that Harry and I were extremely different, that we were from two different worlds, something that I was always trying to forget about.

Yet again, there was a different woman behind the receptionist desk. Her sleek, blonde hair was tied back off her face, revealing perfectly contoured skin and dark red lips, and a set of thick and voluminous eyelashes fanned against her cheeks. A pen was between her lips, her desk a mess of scattered papers and several empty cups of coffee.

"Hi, I'm here to see Harry," I told her, placing the cup of coffee I had picked up for Harry onto her desk. Harry and I had both agreed that seeing each other once a week wasn't enough to satisfy the craving that we had to be with each other. It was like an ache, a niggling feeling that both of us couldn't handle to feel for too long.

She furrowed her brows, removing the pen from her mouth to look me over. "Harry Styles? Do you have an appointment?"

"No, but he usually gets the receptionist to call him whenever I get here," I let out a deep sigh, gritting my teeth at her question. "My name is Eve Hunter if that helps."

Her eyes seemed to light up at the sound of my name, her hands moving to a different pile of papers to search through them. I waited idly for her, watching her scramble around her desk in hopes to find what she was looking for.

"Yes!" She exclaimed, pulling a piece of paper from the pile in front of her, eyes scanning quickly over the words scribbled on it, "I'm so sorry Miss Hunter, please forgive me, this is only my second day," she laughed nervously.

I smiled back at her, returning the favour, "It's fine."

She finally called Harry to tell him about my arrival, Harry replying saying he was with someone at the moment but should be finished in 10 minutes. We spent the next few minutes talking, Lauren, as she introduced herself, was witty and funny and a lot sweeter than any other receptionists that Harry had hired.

The opening of Harry's office door attracted both of our attentions, an older man leaving the room followed by Harry. They talked briefly, before shaking hands and parting ways, Harry walking towards us and the other man heading for the elevator.

"Eve," Harry greeted me with a nod of his head, smirking gleefully. "Oh, Miss. Curtis, please cancel my next meeting with the finance team and reschedule it for sometime tomorrow." He commanded gently to Lauren.

"Sure Mr. Styles, and please, call me Lauren," she corrected, smiling brightly.

Harry nodded in comprehension, gesturing me to his office and following closely behind. We walked in silence, Harry making his way to his office chair and me situating myself on the opposite side of his desk, the look in his eyes suggesting that he was surprised yet happy to see me.

"If you were busy Harry, I can go. You don't have to cancel anything," I muttered.

"This is an unexpected surprise," he said, completely disregarding what I had just said.

"A good unexpected surprise?" I asked hastily.

"A very good unexpected surprise," he grinned, "Come sit, you're so faraway." He signaled, patting his hands on his lap.

I didn't have to think twice, scrambling around the desk and hopping onto his lap. Harry wound his arms securely around my waist, pulling me up his body and looking up at me, a toothy grin spread on his face and a mischievous glint in his eye. The scent of his cologne hit me instantly from the close proximity, my insides melting and a shuddered breathe leaving my parted lips.