twenty five

Eve's POV

The restaurant was relatively quiet tonight, which made for an immense contrast considering how it was a few weeks ago. There weren't many people at the bar tonight, and with a mild hum coming from the minimal amount of people in the dining room, I could tell that this was going to be a relaxing shift.

I sighed in relief at the thought, not at all in the mood to wait on a full dining room. I was content with just sitting here at the podium and letting the others tend to the customers, my head filled with everything that had happened over the past 2 weeks.

I hadn't spoken to Harry, at all, for 2 whole weeks.

I didn't think not speaking to him would have any effect on me, but it felt like something was missing inside of me. A strange feeling of loneliness had settled into my body only after a few days of not talking to him. Going from seeing him a lot, to hardly talking to him at all was extremely difficult. I ached to talk to him whenever he walked through his front door on Thursdays, and it took all the strength in me to keep my mouth shut and brush past him without a word.

I felt horrible, seeing that indignant look on his face when I didn't bother to talk or even look at him, but I was doing this for my own good. I needed to get rid of what I was feeling for him, and if that meant restraining myself from talking to him, and increasing the distant between us, then that was what I was going to do. I wasn't going to let my childish feelings get in the way of our physical relationship. I enjoy what we do and what we have, and I know Harry does too, and I was determined not to ruin it for either of us.

And my heart stopped in my chest as the man I was thinking about walked through the door.

His hair was completely windswept, soft curls sticking up haphazardly all around his head. His dark grey suit clung tightly to his body, legs accentuated by the slim fit and his shoulders broad under the his suit jacket.

A crisp, white shirt adorned his torso, the top few buttons undone to reveal a teasing area of his tanned chest.

I felt my mouth water at the sight, the hard work trying to get of rid my feelings for him completely disintegrating. Everything I had ever felt for him resurfaced inside me within a few seconds, my stomach churning as his dull eyes met mine.

"Hi" he spoke hesitantly, closing the door behind him and walking towards me. I could feel the moisture in my throat dry up, scared to say anything to him incase I choked on my words.

"Hi" I replied, breathless. I couldn't help but notice how run down he looked. His jaw and upper lip were coated in a short layer of very fine stubble, there were dark circles sunken under his eyes, and the vibrant forest of his irises had mellowed down to a dull, murky green. He looked exhausted, like he hadn't been sleeping properly, and I wondered if my abrupt exit a few weeks ago may have been the cause of this.

"Are you, um, here for dinner?" I asked, casting my eyes down to the floor.

"No, I've come to have a drink." He spoke roughly, the gravelly tone of his voice sending shivers down my spine. I nodded in response, unable to lift my gaze to meet his. I felt awful, seeing him in front of me, looking so drained and fatigued.

Guilt swirled in my stomach as we stood there for a few moments, my eyes to the floor and his glare burning into my skin. I could feel him watching me, waiting for me to explain my side of the story on why I had run out on him. He was expecting me to say something, but the things that I desperately wanted to tell him would have to stay buried deep within my mind and out of his reach.

"Right, I'll let you get back to work then" he sighed, walking off towards the bar and sliding onto one of the stools. I watched with yearning eyes as he pulled his jacket from his shoulders, my eyes following the material gliding down the smooth fabric of his shirt on his back, before slipping his arms from the sleeves and placing the jacket on the bar in front of him.