eighteen

Eve's POV

Scott had called me to work the afternoon shift, and I had agreed stupidly, even after Zayn had warned me once never to take an afternoon shift on a Saturday. It was absolutely chaotic, orders were flown from left to right, stacks of plates sitting up my arms and my legs flailing to keep up with the rest of my overworking body.

My feet were aching, a dull throbbing also settling into my shoulders once I had arrived home. All I wanted was to curl up in bed and sleep for the rest of the day, to give my body a chance to relax and repair itself after the hectic morning I had just had. It sounded like the perfect idea, until the voices of my parents bickering in the kitchen caught my attention.

I sighed in annoyance, they hadn't fought in a long time, well not that I had come across anyway. I'm not saying that they were doing better than before, considering my Dad sleeps in my brother's old room these days, but not fighting was a good thing for them I guess.

I reluctantly made my way to the kitchen, not wanting to actually see them but interested in what the topic of their fight would be this time. I stopped in the kitchen doorway, Dad was sitting at the island whilst Mum was stirring something on the stove. They hadn't stopped arguing yet, probably because they had yet to see me observing them.

Dad was the first to notice, his eyes softening and a smile creeping onto his face when he saw me. When Mum had realized he wasn't arguing with her anymore, she snapped her head to me, her eyes hard and glaring.

"Hi Evie, where did you get off to this morning?" Dad asked, standing from the counter and pulling me into a hug, kissing the top of my head.

"I worked the lunch shift at the restaurant, I'm exhausted" I yawned in reply.

"Working hard, huh?" Dad beamed at me, letting me go to return to his seat at the island. I chuckled, it was true of course. I was working my ass off to save up money for university, since my parents said that they were only going to pay for half my fees. My lack of money kind of blew up my wish to move away from London, move away from my parents and their constant fighting. I wanted to attend university somewhere else, but the cost of moving and food and living on my own was too much money for me to cough up, so I guess I was going to have to stay in London.

I sighed as I moved to sit next to him "I am, very hard" I muttered.

"I know it isn't fair of us to ask you to contribute , but we're extremely proud of you, love, aren't we Linda?" my Dad praised. Mum glanced at me over her shoulder, her eyes still hard and a stony expression on her face. She didn't offer any words of encouragement before she returned to tending the pot on the stove.

Dad sighed inwardly at her lack of response to back him up. He scratched the back of his neck before changing the subject. "I'm trying to convince your mother to let Liam come back in the holidays and stay with us for a bit."

My insides warm at the sound of his name. No one ever mentions him anymore, my Mum still shaken up by the incident that happened that caused her to kick him out of our house. He was now living in Leeds, attending university there and doing God knows what else. I still keep in touch with him, he calls once a week and we always have long chats. I was extremely close to him, and once he left, I felt as if part of me was missing. Our whole family did, besides my Mother.

"He is not welcome in this house" Mum scolds, her back still turned to us whilst she continues to stir the pot. My stomach churns at her reply, she sounds so cold when she talks about him, as if she's talking about a stranger rather than her own son.

"He's our son Linda, of course he is welcome" Dad snaps back at her. Anger starts bubbling in the pit of my stomach, the way my Mum is treating my brother is no a way a mother should treat her child. He hasn't been back in 2 years, none of us have seen him in 2 years all because my Mum won't forgive him.