twelve

Eve's POV

I was curled into the sofa in Harry's living room, the lights dimmed and the TV humming softly in the background. The sofa smelt like him, smelt like that damn cologne that he wore that sent my stomach churning and my head on overdrive. I nuzzled further into the material, the musky smell somewhat comforting me in a twisted way that I didn't want it to.

I thought about it a lot last night, when I was tossing and turning amongst my sheets trying to get to sleep. It was a stupid thing for Harry to do, telling Louis about us without my permission. But it was done, he did it and Louis knew, so there wasn't much use in being stroppy towards Harry.

I just couldn't believe I had been so inconsiderate towards him yesterday. Harry was so obviously distraught about the news about Geena's engagement, his mind instantly thinking about how Alice could possibly be taken away from him in the near future. I should've comforted him, I should've assured him that I would be there for him if anything like that ever happened. But I didn't, and I should have.

I put Alice to bed early, much to her dismay. I had to bribe with her baking to help her comply, promising her that I would make her my cupcakes which I hadn't made in months. In that, she happily obliged, snuggling under her blankets and falling asleep within minutes.

I was still a little wary of how Harry would treat me when he would walk through the front door, considering the way I left so abruptly yesterday afternoon. After he went to kiss me but I turned my face instead, his mouth catching my cheek instead of my lips. He looked hurt, hurt that I was so angry with him that I wouldn't even let him kiss me, despite him apologizing and owning up to what he did.

The key in the door pulled me from my thoughts, my heart instantly increasing when I saw Harry stepping into the house. He didn't even turn to look at me, heading straight to the coat rack and shrugging his trench coat off his broad shoulders and hanging it up. He walked straight across the living room and into the kitchen, without even a glance or word to me.

I sat up in confusion, the silent treatment he was giving me was baffling. Surely just because I didn't let him kiss me yesterday wasn't the whole reason why he wouldn't even look at me. He was so confusing sometimes, the way he handled situations so immaturely was so frustrating to me.

He walked back out from the kitchen, clutching a bottle of beer in his hand. He leant against the doorframe, bringing the bottle to his dark lips and taking a swig, his murky eyes glancing around the room before setting on me.

"Is Alice in bed already?" he asked, his voice a lot more raspier than usual.

I nodded in confirmation, and he set his beer down and searched through his pockets, pulling out his wallet. He plucked a few bills from the leather, carelessly throwing them on the table and pushing his wallet back into his pocket.

"I'll be in my study for the rest of the night, I have a ton of work to do. There's your money, feel free to leave whenever. Have a good night, and thanks for babysitting" he spoke, his voice tired and completely monotone. He sauntered off through the hallway, a loud slam indicating he had made his way to his study.

My brows furrowed in sheer confusion, the way he was treating me just because I didn't let him kiss me puzzling me to no extent. Pushing myself off the couch, I followed his tracks through the living room and down the hallway, stopping briefly to rest my forehead against the heavy door. I blew out a silent breathe, drawing it out for as long as I felt would help me prepare for the upcoming conversation.

My knuckles knocked on the wood, the only sound in the quiet house making it sound so incredibly loud. There was a grunt on the other side of the door, and I took that as acceptance to come inside.