twenty four

Harry's POV

The ride home was silent, the presence of Lucy in the car making me feel uneasy. In the back of my mind I knew I shouldn't have called her, and I knew that I was doing this in spite of what I just saw Eve do. It was a pathetic thing really, but right now, I couldn't seem to feel a thing. I didn't feel the wrongness of the whole situation, I couldn't feel the pain anymore that had exploded through my body at the sight of her with someone else, and I certainly couldn't feel Lucy's hand that was massaging my knee as she drove us to my house.

Once we arrived, she followed me through the darkness of the house to my bedroom. I dropped down onto the edge of my bed, sighing in frustration from the mixed feelings running through me. I had lost count of how many times Lucy had been in here, and it made me feel sick thinking about what the outcome of tonight was going to be. But I needed to feel something, anything to help me forget about the image of what I had seen tonight from burning behind my eyes.

I remembered the very day that I had first met Lucy. It had been a month or so after I became CEO when she turned up at reception wanting an interview. She hadn't scheduled an appointment, neither had she even notified my assistant or I, or anyone else in the building about wanting an interview. I thought it was exceptionally bold of her, to turn up unannounced and demanding to see me. I cancelled my next meeting in order to see this resolute journalist, happily inviting her into my office to see what all the fuss was about.

She was attractive, extremely attractive. I was stunned at how impeccable she looked, her work clothes hugging every inch of her slim body, her blonde hair neatly wound up in a bun atop her head, and a pair of glasses similar to mine sitting on the bridge of her nose. She walked with a purpose, her high heels clacking against the floor with each precise step she took, a determined look on her face as she greeted me professionally and sat down in front of my desk.

What I didn't expect was for her to be so nervous, her voice stuttering and hand shaking as she scribbled notes from our conversation onto her notepad. I studied her as she worked, my mind wandering and thinking about her in ways I probably shouldn't have. She looked as if she needed to relax, and I hadn't had sex for a few days, so before I knew it, she was laying across my desk and I was f.ucking her senseless.

After that, she seemed to have loosened up a bit, getting all the information she needed from me and ending the interview with a handshake and piece of paper with her number on it. The article she wrote was published within the next few days, and from what I had heard, she had gotten a promotion from writing such an informative piece.

Lucy and I had the same type of relationship you could say Eve and I had, in the fact that we only used each other for sex and that was that. It was easy access to something that I had grown used to getting every single week, Lucy always seeming to be around whenever I needed it.

"Harry, is everything okay?" She asked, the familiar tone of her voice bouncing sharply off every single surface in the room.

I smoothed my hands over my face, trying desperately to relieve any of the stress that was circling my body. To be completely honest, I wasn't okay at all. I know that what Eve and I had was strictly physical, and that I shouldn't be this affected by seeing her kiss someone else. We were both free to do whatever we wanted, and I could only imagine what Eve must've felt when I revealed to her that I had slept with a different girl due to a drunken night. I just wanted to forget about everything that had happened today, and it made my stomach churn knowing what the only thing was that would get my mind off it.

"Come here," I muttered, glancing up to see worry etched across her face.

She narrowed her eyes at me, skepticism evident in her features as she toed off her shoes and padded across my room. I wasn't sure what I was inviting her to do, so she took it upon herself to place her knees either side of my thighs to straddle my lap, hands cradling my face as she tilted my head up to look at her.